The Cannon Family

The Cannon Family

Wednesday, November 16, 2011

Growing up and climbing out

Jack is getting old!! It makes me sad because he's always been my squishy, chubby cheeked, little buddy. He's still squishy, has chubby cheeks, but the buddy part is becoming more of a challenge. Lately he's been phasing into the "tantrum stage" and has recently learned how to get out of his crib. This has been nothing short of TOTALLY ANNOYING!! The first night we realized he could get out of his crib, we didn't get him to sleep until 11 p.m. that night. Being the geniuses that we are, Chase and I FINALLY figured out that we can lock him in after three hours of trying to get him to stay in his room. He fell asleep as we were changing out the doorknobs. All tuckered out!!


We have tried to compromise (with a two year old:-) and tell Jack that if he stays in his crib we won't lock his door. He does NOT like being locked in and tells us throughout the day "Don't lock my door Mom." He says this with a angry rolled eyed look on his face. Obviously he isn't old enough to "make a deal" with his parents and has only stayed in his room a few times when we leave his door unlocked. He now insists that we leave his door open at night. He goes into Sadie's room at 5 a.m. in the morning just to say hello. It's actually kind of sweet. Sadie has told me that he'll jump in bed with her and snuggle while they talk and giggle. When I hear their little voices up there I usually let them have a couple of minutes to bond before we stick Jack back in his crib.

The other night he and Sadie came into our room at 3:50 a.m. Sadie was clearly confused because she was fully dressed for school. If we hadn't been so tired it would have been really funny but IT WASN'T!! It's time to get Jack a "big boy" bed but I don't feel like I can do this right now. I'm worried that with the baby coming in soon he'll feel really misplaced with out his crib, especially if the baby starts to use it.

I'm just glad he's going through this now to "prepare" me for the hurricane which is bound to come when the baby comes. Sadie was a mess when we brought Jack home. Hopefully it won't be as bad with Jack but at least we are gearing up for it with him waking up SUPER early in the morning and needing to be rocked to sleep for naps.

He might be getting big but he still makes me smile when he yells "kissmas tees" every time he sees lights. He's been screaming it out the car window ever since Halloween when people had decorations up for the trick or treaters. Sadie is adamant about teaching him to say things correctly. He's told "it's Christmas lights, not Christmas trees Jack!" She tries to help him enunciate his words which makes me laugh because Sadie has one of the cutest little lisps every time we says an "S."


He loves to wrestle around with Dad and play fumble in the front room (which always ends in some sort of an injury:-). He insists on holding his Halloween bag while he eats his meals. "I just wanna hold it mom." I am such a sucker for this little guy. He got candy WAY earlier in life than Sadie did. I'm also a sucker when it comes to his pacifier. He loves his "bibi" and has at least two in his possession at all times. He also been seen carrying 4-5 around as well. Chase gets mad when he sees a binky in Jack's mouth and always takes it away. I just like the peace and quiet, so when I'm around, Jack gets his way. He just loves them so much!


He carries a Ziploc bag around with his cars inside almost everywhere we go. He gets sad when Sadie goes to school and asks where she is throughout the day. We had breakfast with some friends this morning and as we were driving away he asked me where Preston (his little buddy) was and said "I wanted to say goodbye Mom."

He's singing his ABC's and a lot of other songs I didn't know he knew. Often I'll hear him singing Happy Birthday, Thomas and his Friends, Jingle Bells, and Rudolf the Red nose reindeer. I love his little voice. Whenever we pass by the restaurant Chuy's he'll shout out "Chuy's!!" in his little enthusiastic chipmunk sounding voice. He's learning how to count VERY well. At breakfast I'll bring down puzzles and we work through them while he eats. He knows all of his shapes. I love hearing him say "trapezoid and octagon." It totally cracks me up! He's also learned a lot of the letter's sounds and will say them out loud to us when we pick up a letter. He's become amazingly proficient with my iPhone. He navigates around the apps. like it's no one's business and watching him play angry birds is hilarious. A little smarty pants!!

He'll say stuff like "that makes me sad" whenever he's not allowed to do anything. He'll give anyone a kiss if they are sad so we do the same for him. He's still a little snuggler and I wrap him up in a fuzzy red blanket every afternoon for his nap. We rock in the rocking chair and sing songs until his eyes get droopy. I know it's a bad habit to rock your kid to sleep but I'm relishing the time that he'll still let me do this with him. Cuddle time is my favorite time of the day, besides of course when he and Sadie are both in bed and I get to snuggle with my Chase.

1 comment:

Laura H. said...

I love love love this age!There's just something about a little boy that is SO perfect! He's a cutie!