The Cannon Family

The Cannon Family

Friday, November 23, 2012

Story Time!!

 
Something I've always wanted to do is start a story hour.  I think it's in my blood because of my mom.  I still remember the plays she would put on at the Children's Hour.  I remember people excitedly coming up to my mom on the street and recognizing her from her weekly book recommendations on channel 5.  I thought I was pretty cool to have a mom on television every week and obviously I still do because I'm still bragging about it:-)  My mom surrounded our worlds with books and book signings.  I remember meeting Tomie Depaola, Rosemary Wells, Lemony Snicket and Sarah Stewart.  I even remember getting in trouble when I misbehaved at lunch with Robert Munsch.  So many fun memories that I wish I could reincarnate for my kids. 
I've done my best by attending various story times where I've lived.  I've seen some good ones and some bad ones.  The good ones in San Diego and Virginia inspired me, and the bad ones here finally persuaded me to do one myself. 
I've had a lot of "mom guilt" lately concerning Jack's lack of the fun activities I always did with Sadie.  Because she was my only child for a while I took her all over the place.  Zoo, Sea World, dance, gymnastics, farms, you name it!  I had her enrolled in everything and we visited anything that looked like fun.  Add two kids to the picture and it's a little harder to get out.  Jack has preschool twice a week but that's about all I have arranged for him throughout the week.  We usually set up a play date on Wednesdays so Friday seemed the best day to launch a very fun and interactive story time. 
One of the main reasons I am finally able to get this going is because I have Julie.  She is just as excited about starting one as me because she remembers how fun the story time was at the San Diego library when we moved there.  We combined our music and books and voila!  We have story time!! I love reading to the kids.  I absolutely LOVE it!!  I love looking at their adorable expressions and wide eyes when I tell them about the Big Hungry Bear, or how Papa climbed a ladder to get to the moon.  I guess I just love how much they love it.  Jack gets to sit with all his buddies and hear awesome stories and then dance around like a monkey when we turn the music on.  The "mom guilt" is slowly diminishing and I feel a little of my Mom resurfacing too:-)

1 comment:

Melanie said...

We love it too! So glad you guys put it together!!