The Cannon Family

The Cannon Family

Wednesday, July 17, 2013

George is 18 months!!


I miss doing my monthly updates on George.  He's 18 months now and quite a little character! He does this little lip curl thinger that always reminds me of a mini Gordon B. Hinckley.  I don't know why but I'm sure I'm not the only one who sees it. 

Most of the time George can be quite peachy and delightful. Especially if he's outside and doing what HE wants to do.   

He also loves to be around Sadie and Jack.  If they're having a dance party in the living room, he wants to dance too.  He does this hilarious little bounce and one armed swing when he dances.  The one armed swing happens whenever he walks anywhere too.  When he wakes up from a nap, Sadie and Jack will go into his room and entertain him for an extra 30 minutes while I get my stuff done.  I can often hear him giggling on the monitor as they jump up and down and entertain him the best they can.  How fun to be born into a family where you are constantly being entertained!!

He's pretty good at entertaining himself as well.  If we are EVER doing the dishes and he's not in his high chair, he's bound to come over and rearrange the dishes to his liking. He loves to throw things away too.  When we were in Utah, CC would empty the trash can and give him a bunch of recyclables to throw away.  He loved it and felt so important!! 

...and we have a climber!  He has figured out how to climb on many things these days but loves to perch himself on a little chair.  He eventually sits down, but the process of getting into the chair usually involves getting in feet first, standing up, turning around and sitting down.  It's a lot of work being so little!!  He loves to go behind those curtains and run towards us yelling "pee-aboo."  This usually happens at night, and it's so cute, he usually gets to stay up WAY later than bedtime. 

Nothing is safe in his path.  He empties my Tupperware cabinet once a day, destroys block towers that were left unattended by Jack and if we can't find him anywhere, he's usually in the pantry finding his own snack and making a pretty big mess along the way.  Doesn't like getting his diaper changed either.  We don't mind seeing him walk around with that cute little tush. 

George loves playing with water.  What kid doesn't?  I just wish it wasn't so dang expensive in Texas.  Our water bill in the summer is ridiculous.  I would love to let him turn on the hose and play with the water for hours (because he would play with a hose for hours on end), but it's just too pricey.  I've turned into my Dad too.  I see sprinklers broken in a neighbor's yard and cringe at the thought of so much water going to waste.  Not only is it expensive, but kind precious too, especially during the dry drought season of summer.  So if we ever see a body of water, we try to stop and play so the kids can get their fix. Water is also a very easy way to get George to eat.  Like the rest of our children, he's extremely picky but will eat almost anything if he's playing with water.  He gets a lot of mini baths in the kitchen sink.   



You would think a kid who loves water so much would love the pool, but you would be wrong with George.  We have some pretty fantastic pools in our neighborhood, equipped with splash pads, beach front entries, and slides.  George would rather collect rocks by the slide and move them to the other side of the yard.  I though this summer would be easier at the pool now that G is older, but it's every bit as hard, if not worse, because he doesn't really want to get in the pool but doesn't really want to do anything else either.  The only way I can get him to be happy some days is to bring a bunch of food to keep him entertained. Oranges especially.

He pretty much loves getting wet when I DON'T want him to.  When I don't have him in a swim suit and there isn't a bottle of sunscreen in sight. 

I need to get a water table because then he can play with water that's already in there and won't get completely drenched.  Who am I kidding, he always gets completely drenched.  I change his outfit at least three times a day due to him pouring his sippy cup all over himself, him finding a dirt pile, or just the joy of him trying to eat food by himself.



He and Jack usually jump in the shower with Chase whenever he's in there because they're definitely the messiest.  Sadie prefers her own private showers these days.  Bath or shower. Georgie will take either one. 

There's that cute little dimple bum again.  I can't get enough of it!!

His favorite foods as of late of oranges, grapes, blueberries, watermelon, pancakes, cheese sticks, oatmeal (sometimes...that one usually requires water entertainment) and LOVES French fries.  I took the kids to the movies a few times this summer. That normally would be a disaster with little George, who can't sit still for a moment, but if I order some French fries, he's good to go the entire flick.  Gotta love the ALAMO for serving food during a movie. 

He still drinks bottles occasionally of either rice milk or coconut milk. This is usually when he won't eat ANYTHING else, so it's a last resort.  When he wants some food he will look at you and yell "ME ME ME!" while bulging his eyes and doing an under bite face while sticking his chin out.  It's hilarious because at this stage it really is all about "me."

With these silly eating habits, we never know what we're going to be able to feed him.  He is constantly changing his mind and would often rather paint his face, hair and tray with spaghetti than actually eat it.  At his check up he was only 12th percentile for weight and 11th for height.  24 little pounds.  Still pretty short and stubby.  A true "Georgie Porge."  His head circumference was in the 70th which I thought was pretty funny. 


When we put him next to his buddy Miles, it's hard to believe he is the older one by three months.  Miles also has a daddy who's 6'7" so that might be a factor.  We love our little Porge just the way he is.   
 

Whenever you see George, his "bah" is always nearby.  It's become a necessity in all situations.  We never leave the house without it because it is the best way to calm George down when he's upset. 
He takes that "bah" puts it upside down, places the little nub below his nose and sticks his fingers in his mouth.  It's adorable.  Sometimes "bah" covers his whole face when he really needs a good calming snuggle.
 
The other milestone we had at 18 months was, I finally consented to let George turn around in his car seat.  Chase had been asking me to turn him around since his first birthday, but because of the new regulations saying "2 years is best," I was cautious to turn him facing forward especially with him being as little as he is. I thought meeting Chase half way would be a good idea on this one.  So at 18 months George upgraded to first class and can now see out his window, can see me in my rear view mirror, and I get to see all three of my little chiddlers, all in a row, which makes me very happy. 

 

While we were  in Utah for the summer George spent a lot of time in the stroller.  He was pretty awesome about it and would take little cat naps here and there when he needed them.  Wouldn't have happened without "bah." 

Sometimes a snuggle with Dad is even better.  We LOVE our George snuggles!!  He will nuzzle his head into my chest, put both his arms down and just melt into my arms.  My goodness!!  It's heavenly!! 

We've been appreciating nap and bedtime a little more these days because with 6 new teeth coming in, George is NOT a fun person to be around.  Pops and CC might be deaf from our two weeks of staying at their house after hearing George's high pitched screams ALL day long.  I had the patience of Job during this phase.  It wasn't until the last couple of days when Chase was in Texas and we were all in Utah that I almost lost it!!  I might be a little more deaf too!  We stayed at Chad and Lizzie's home for a few days as well and it bothered Chad so much, he suggested spraying George with a spray bottle every time he screamed so he would "learn, and not do it again."  I was very tempted but remembered George is a boy, not a dog.   

His mood didn't change much when we got back to Texas and seemed to always be waking up on the wrong side of the crib.  He never wanted to do anything but be held.  If I tried to put him in his highchair he would have a full blown tantrum!!

These pictures don't do his hysteria justice!!  It's hard not to laugh when he gets so very mad.  When he gets really frustrated, he'll come up to me, look me right in the eye and pinch my arm or hit my head.  He's obviously been watching his older siblings interact far too much. 

....and that's why we love him all the time, but most of all, when he sleeps.  Looks like a mini rock star in this picture, playing the guitar.  He does like to sing a little.  It's never a specific song but whenever a Rio song comes on in Portuguese, sometimes he'll sing along when they say "abah abah abah."  The name of his beloved lovie "bah" couldn't be ignored in this song.  He's really starting to chat it up quite a bit.  He says words here and there but lately has been saying a few phrases like "here you go...which sounds more like eewoogo" as he hands me something he's done with.  He also says "iwah-g-ot...(I want to get out) while reaching up his arms to me while in the highchair or crib. I love hearing him say "titoo" (thank you).  I am in the process of teaching him "please" because all we hear these days is "AWAH WAH!!!" (water) in his high pitched scream (especially if you don't get him some IMMEDIATELY.  Please and thank you go a long way Georgie Porge. He knows how to say "stop" too.  He says this with vigor as well! 

He will mimic a lot of words we say and makes a pretty awesome "meow" sound when he sees a kitty.  He was giggling the other day in my bathroom while looking into my trash can.  I couldn't figure out why he was so happy until I realized there was a little lizard scampering around trying to get out of the waste basket.  He was totally entertained!  George loves all creatures, great and small. We love him!!  Chase will play this game with him where he hides behind a couch and pops out then runs towards George.  It startles the little guy but he also laughs REALLY hard!! What a joy! So lucky he's in our family.  We love you Georgie!!    
 

No comments: