The Cannon Family

The Cannon Family

Sunday, February 21, 2016

The Trio comes to Austin

To say I had a great weekend would be a HUGE understatement.  Our husbands were in cahoots for a few months trying to figure out a way to fly us all to Vegas for the weekend.  All of us have had a pretty rough year and these men in our lives knew we needed a break! They also knew that the best way to lighten our moods was to get the three of us together.  I have a tendency to peek into Chase's texts, just because I think they're interesting.  Not because I think he has anything to hide.  Well, this time we was trying to hide something and I found out!  I'm actually glad I did because I brought to light that we were currently in possession of two houses.  The Gordon's and the Cannon's.  Our home was nearly finished.  All that was left was the kitchen back splash and the fireplace. These things were supposed to be done weeks earlier but the stupid tile guy we hired apparently can't tile.  Who'da thunk?!  A tile guy who can't tile!  Well if anyone would end up hiring such an idiot, it would be the Cannons.  We're really good at finding the worst possible contractors in Austin.  I could write a book!  So I called the girls and spilled the beans.  We were going on a trip but I wanted them to come here instead.  Las Vegas is for the birds....the hot pink feathered ones with high heels and orange tans!!  Austin is such an incredible city and I couldn't wait to show it off to my favorite people!

They were able to change their flights and were all set to come see me!!  I originally thought we could all stay at the newly remodeled house but it still wasn't quite ready for visitors. So Chase and the kids moved over to Tracton Lane for the weekend while the girls and I took over the Gordon's house.  It was perfect to have two places for everyone!  I felt bad kicking Chase out because we really weren't there most of the day.  Only slept there. We were too busy seeing the sights, sounds, and eating our way through Austin!   


We slept in until 11 and then went to Kerby Lane where we ate so much food Jess thought we were joking with the waiter.  "Is there a plate where we can get everything?  Eggs, bacon, potatoes, fruit, toast, pancakes?  We want it all!!"  And Andrea and I snarfed it ALL down.  It was breakfast AND lunch by the time we finished.   They were getting a small taste of the food here in Austin.  I was hoping they would love it so much, they'd want to pack up and move their families here too! 
I took them to South Congress for a few photo ops.  They couldn't believe how many boots were in Allen's!  

I mentioned a Segway tour and they were totally on board!  Now, the three of us on Segways was bound to produce a few laughs.  I think we drove our group crazy! Having no kids made us hyper.  We came up with a synchronized Segway routine and raced them at the capitol.  I yelled out to a couple of college student boys watching us "You know you're jelly!  You know you want to get on here!" I didn't realize how cougar I sounded and looked until the girls just about fell off their Segways from laughing so hard.  They explained to me that because you have to thrust your body back and forth to stay balanced on a Segway, I actually looked like I was giving a dirty invitation.  What I meant to say was "you know you want to be on a Segway tour too."  It just didn't come out that way.  The looks on the students' faces were priceless.  "Who is that nasty old lady wearing a helmet on a Segway? " "You know you're jelly" became the theme of the trip after that! We were so uncool we were hot!!





We ate at all my favorite places.  Torchy's was a winner.  They loved the queso!!

We ate beets and sweet potatoes from Fresas too.  We needed to counteract all the bad calories we had already eaten with some semi-healthy veggies. No matter that they were drowning in olive oil and covered with creamy sauces. I love the food here!!
I couldn't believe it when our Segway guide told me the bats were back in February, but I had to show the girls just in case they were.  I've never seen them back so early in the year before!  Despite the fact this means we're up for a grueling summer, I'm so glad these girls got to see the wonders of the South Congress Bat Bridge! 
I couldn't let them go home without eating a savory doughnut from Gourdough's Public House.  They make sandwiches on a doughnut!! My favorite  is the New Jack City.  A runny egg, bacon, cheese and grape jelly.  I dream about this brunch item WAY too often!

The girls asked me how people in Austin stay thin with all the delicious food options.  The only thing I could think of is that we sweat it off in the summers and work it off running around Lady Bird Lake.  Austin is such an active city.  If the weather is nice, people are always outside exploring and burning calories! 





We did a little calorie burning of our own.  Actually they did.  I just sat in the middle while they rowed me around Town Lake.  Three people rowing a canoe just doesn't work.   I looked ridiculous but thoroughly enjoyed the ride!


We even got a kind group of people to take our picture and text it to us.  I ask someone every time I'm canoeing down there and my visitors always think I'm crazy.  But they're are always happy when they get the picture.  It's the only way to see our beautiful city.  Even if it's kind of an overcast kind of day. 

We were actually grateful for the clouds because we weren't too hot canoeing and biking!   
When I'm walking these trails with my Austin ladies, I'm always jealous of the people riding bikes on the boardwalk.  It looked so dreamy.  I was determined to get us down there too.  Such a fun ride around the city! 


And we climbed trees (well, I did) because we could.  No kids = do whatever the heck you want!
I also was very jealous of the people I always see laying in the park when I walk by with my heavy double stroller.  We took full advantage of our free hands and enjoyed soaking in conversation and sun with no interruptions. 

It was just what the overtired, stressed and semi crazy mommies needed.  The flood, moving and renovations was totally consuming me.  I was so busy cleaning the Gordon's house every other day so that interested buyers could see a sparkling home.  The stress got to the point where I forgot to pick George up from preschool.  It didn't even cross my mind!! Thank goodness for friends in Austin who pick up my slack and for college rommies for coming out and giving me a weekend off from my worries.  Now, if I can just get these roomies to move here.  My life would be complete!


No comments: