The Cannon Family

The Cannon Family

Monday, April 11, 2016

40 and Fabulous!

I've been keeping a secret.  A very BIG secret for a long time.  Chase is turning 40 and I wanted to do something great.  Something he would never forget.  I initially thought it would be fun to get his old band Bean Dip back together and put on a concert here in Austin for our friends. Then I remembered what Chase loves most (besides music and his beloved guitar).  The man LIVES to waterski and he looooooves his family.  So I combined the two and set up a waterski weekend Cannon brothers on Lake Austin. I set it up the weekend before his birthday so he wouldn't suspect anything.  I texted all his siblings and got a feel for what days would work for everyone.  Cate wouldn't be able to make it which was a total bummer but what's more fun than a boy's trip in Austin? Nothing!! I wasn't at all surprised that his brothers were totally on board.  There was no hesitation.  I said "boat and Chase" and they said "when and where."  They're the best and so are their wives for letting them go (especially Jenna with her tiny little newborn Finn at home!).  

Everyone booked their plane tickets and the plan was set in motion.  Chase had no idea whatsoever.  I made it sound like I was really sorry I hadn't planned anything because of the flood and the move back into the house. I did tell him that I rented a boat for his birthday.  Most of his really close friends moved away last year so he wasn't very excited about me throwing him a party.  I told him I rented the boat with a driver so we could just have fun as a family.  He was cool with that and thought it was a great way to reign in his 40th year.  Little did he know that "family" meant a heck of a whole lot more than just us and our kids.   

The only hiccup we had was that Pops and CC found out about the surprise because Chad told them.  I didn't invite them because I wasn't sure they could leave SLC with work and piano lessons and I also though it would be pretty crowded with everyone in the house.  The boat rental also informed me that we could only have 9 people on the boat.  Pops and CC would make 11 and then we'd have to leave people on the dock or at home which would have been sad.  Pops was sad he couldn't come and even went as far as saying "I'm the one who taught all these boys how to waterski!"  Made me feel really bad.  I discussed it with the brothers beforehand and they convinced it would be too tricky with the boat rental to have them come and that Pops would eventually understand. I still felt bad.  Pops was pretty nice about it when I talked to him and made me feel a bit better.  

Chase was working from home on the Thursday that the boys started to arrive.  Curt got in the earliest and just hung out downtown until the rest of the boys landed.  Heber finally arrived around 8 and I really wanted the kids to be awake for the surprise.  I spent the whole day cleaning the house because  "Stella is coming over to watch Eliza and it needs to be clean!"  Chase still didn't suspect a thing.  I was cleaning sheets on all the beds (something I never do) and really doing a good deep clean.  I had blow up mattresses hidden in the garage and a fridge full of food.  

Around 8:15 Chase suggested we put the kids to bed.  And completely out of my normal evening routine demeanor, I suggested that the kids stay up a little later since they wouldn't be going to school the next day and they were in fact having quite a bit of fun.  Normally everyone is crying from end of the day exhaustion and I can't wait to tuck them into bed! I kept getting texts that they were 15, then 10, then 5 minutes away.  When they finally pulled up to the house I all of a sudden exclaimed to Chase that I had been to Trader Joes that day and completely forgot to bring in the groceries!  I had to run to the garage to save the perishables if they hadn't already sadly perished!! He still suspected nothing but felt a little bad about our groceries.  I ran out, gave the boys a hug and watched them approach the door.  They rang the bell and Chase looked through the glass with THE MOST astonished look on his face.  He opened the door and said "what in the world!"  They all said "Hey buddy. Happy Birthday!"  I asked him if he had any idea they were coming?  He pointed to me and said "was I supposed to?"  

I had my suspicions that he was catching on a few weeks before their arrival. I did everything to keep it a secret.  I put a new passcode on my phone.  I turned off my text notifications so he couldn't see them on my locked screen.  I even went as far as editing their names in my contacts to their wive's names so if he did happen to look at my texts, something he never does, he would see a bunch of girl names and assume we were chatting about braided hair and chocolate.  

I did a few stupid things that almost compromised the mission.  One night as I was texting the boys I accidentally sent a message to Chase!!  Luckily we were laying side by side in bed and I could grab the phone and delete it!  Another time I fell asleep with my phone in my hand.  Sweet Chase usually walks over and plugs my phone in for me when this happens and then also retires for the night. However after the night I grabbed his phone and deleted our text thread, he started to get a little suspicious.  I told him Cate was planning something fun to send him and I had accidentally sent a message to him about the surprise gift.  He was a curious little thing because in my state of sleepiness, I caught him reading the text thread from Cate!!  I woke up and immediately asked him "what are you doing?!!"  He said, "I'm just looking at pictures!"  I knew this was a lie because when I grabbed my phone from him it opened up to my text messages first thing.   Such a stinker!!  He was crouched down on the floor by my side of the bed just reading away. He said all he saw was something I had asked her to show Mike about a rash George currently had.  I didn't believe him.  I was positive he had read the text right above the rash text about her not being able to come and how she was so sad she wouldn't be able to "party with everyone on his birthday."  I thought the whole plan was ruined and I gave Chase the silent treatment for the next day (or two) unless I had something I REALLY needed to tell him.  I wasn't convinced he hadn't read the whole thread.  He kept telling me he hadn't and got very worried about why I was so mad he was reading my texts.  Did I have something to hide?  Was I having an affair (ya right!!)?  I told him to forget about it and just be reassured it was something for his birthday that Cate was putting together.  Total lie but kept him quiet for a while.  

And he really was surprised and soooooo happy they could all come!  Chad's flight got in much later that evening so the boys went to pick him up and went out to get pizza.  They basically stayed out till 2 a.m. every night they were here.  Either eating Pizza or playing basketball at the ward.  They had such a great time and it warmed my heart that he was able to spend such a memorable birthday with the people he loves most!  They really are the best of friends and were so great to come celebrate with him.  Love this Cannon family of mine! 

Liza was quite alarmed with all the new male faces in her home that looked just like her Dad's.   

George and Jack immediately globbed onto Curtis.  He's their favorite! 

And the next morning, bright and early, we were on the lake!!  It was a heavenly day!!



I was even surprised to get up on the first try after not skiing for a bazillion years! Take that mother of 4 body with weak sauce arms! 


We did leave Liza home with Stella for the day.  It was much more relaxing without her there and everyone had such a great time!


Chase has ALWAYS wanted a boat and seeing how happy the kids were during the day, he is convinced we need to sell the house and live like bums on Lake Austin. 

George was my favorite to watch on the boat.  He had his moments of excitement but mostly he just snuggled Bah and watched the view behind the two fingers in his mouth.  Love this snuggly little dude.





Kids loved tubing.  My ever cautious Jack kept motioning us to decrease the speed with his thumb pointing down while his dare devil sister on the right kept pointing her thumb up!


Pretty ridiculous that when George and Sadie got out there the water turned to glass.  It was almost unbearable to watch, but their smiling faces made up for it! 





I am officially "wife of the year" according to the Cannon brothers.  Chase kept hugging me and saying "thank you so much for this!"  I love him so much.  Nothing makes me happier than to see him on a lake water skiing! 

We got some great pics in front of the famous Penny Backer Bridge. 



And then the boat rental came to an end.  Everyone was sad to get off but I was glad we wouldn't be paying another $120 for the next hour!  The guys offered to chip in for the boat rental but I told them their presence was gift enough.  Besides I'm sure they spent a pretty penny on their plane tickets! 
We took them to the Salt Lick for dinner. I love watching them laugh together.  Such a special bond these guys have. 





One by one they had to leave back to their families.  Chad was the last to come and the first to leave but we're glad he was able to make it, even it it was for just a day.  He even gave Jack a little piano lesson while he was here. Heber left soon after him.
Curt stayed the longest so we were able to celebrate Chase's actual birthday with him and Melba the next day.  

Right before Chris' flight we explored downtown Austin a bit.


I made shepherd's pie and angel food cake for the boys even though the only ones left were Chase and Curt.  It was fun having Melba over too.   

She and I both agreed that shepherd's pie is nauseating and with disgust watched the boys eat the entire pan in one sitting! 
Melba got a kick out of Chase's senior picture and "smoulder".  Oh how far you have come little permed blondie Chase.  40 looks good on you!! 



And guess what.  Cate really did have a surprise for Chase.   She sent him 40 candy bars to celebrate his 40 years of life.  Hot tamales, gummy bears and nibs.  Definitely "old people" candy if you really think about it.   

And after everyone left we kept right on celebrating.  I made another angel food cake for his work buddies and brought the kids in to celebrate with NFP.  


You only turn 40 once and that means you get to celebrate for a week straight!  
Love my Chase and love our life together. So glad Jim and Connie got busy 40 and 9 months ago and so glad he's mine now!  Here's to another 40 years of happy days with this fantastic person.  I think we can all agree he's simply the best of the best and we'd all hop on a plane and go water skiing with him any day of the week!

No comments: