The Cannon Family

The Cannon Family

Friday, August 13, 2010

Bonjour Butterflies

I am somewhat obsessed with butterflies. When I heard there was a pavilion, not in D.C. but in Maryland we were totally on board. Anything to avoid the D.C. tourists and traffic right? After reading Fancy Nancy's Bonjour Butterflies Sadie is somewhat obsessed as well. It was bound to be a great experience for all.

Sadie was hopeful that once we walked in the butterflies would land on her finger just like they did for Fancy Nancy. We did our best to attract them by wearing yellow (which wasn't too much of a stretch for Sadie as she wears this dress practically every day) and putting flowers in her hair. Unfortunately the only person the butterflies were attracted to was me. They loved me and Sadie was getting pretty upset that they didn't care for her in the same way.

I tried explaining that all the jumping around wasn't helping and the only reason they landed on me was because I was holding still. She tried that too (holding still) and still no butterflies. She kept saying she wanted one to "perch" on her finger. I've now decided that "perch" is one of my new favorite words:-)
The pavilion was HOT!! We all had sweat dripping down our faces. It wasn't until Jack found the rocks to collect and Sadie found the magnifying glass that the frustration of the non-perching butterflies was forgotten.






Eventually the heat got to Jack and he took a sweaty power nap in the stroller. We continued to search for butterflies that could potentially land on Sadie. I tried picking them up with my finger and the old lady butterfly keepers kept getting mad at me. I don't think they understood the severity of the situation. Either a butterfly needed to land on Sadie or Fancy Nancy was toast!!


Right before we were ready to go home, I managed to get a butterfly off my arm and onto Sadie's back with out her noticing. She didn't want me to put one on her. She wanted it to "perch" on her by it's own free will. She didn't understand the meaning of "beggars can't be choosers" so we had to stage the situation with out her knowledge. Ta da!! It worked!! She was as pleased as punch and we could finally go home and get out of that 90 degree green house. What we do for our children. It's pretty ridiculous but totally worth her proud little moment.

I LOVE, LOVE, LOVE Sadie's face in this picture!! That expression pretty much wraps up this post. Goodbye!

No comments: