The Cannon Family

The Cannon Family

Friday, February 4, 2011

We're nearly there...

Ever since we brought Jack home from the hospital it's been a struggle to protect the little guy from his big sister. We've tried over and over again to encourage a bond between them and teach them to establish trust. I feel like after nearly two years Sadie is finally seeing how much fun Jack can really be and Jack is not nearly as terrified of her as he was before.
We've had Sadie be in charge of getting Jack his gummy vitamins (favorite part of the day for both of them). He lets her sing the "Itsy Bitsy Spider" with a tickle at the end and I've even witnessed them play in the play room BY THEMSELVES for a full ten minutes. I think if this continues they might actually become friends one day.
Jack loves to do anything Sadie does which puts her in a unique situation. If she hits, he will hit. If she teaches him to hug and share, then he will do the same. I think she likes this power and is finally using it for good. She loves it when Jack will snuggle up to her if he bonks his head. He laughs (and snorts) when Sadie chases him around the living room.
I have seen a significant difference in Sadie's desire to make Jack happy. She tries so hard to share even her most favorite toys and is learning more and more that he DOES NOT like to be picked up. As their mother, nothing makes me happier than to hear them playing peacefully together. Perhaps it's because it makes my job easier, but more so because I just want them to be friends.

No comments: