The Cannon Family

The Cannon Family

Sunday, May 13, 2012

Texas Tea Party


After last year's extravaganza I told Sadie (and my inner self) that I was NOT going to throw a big party for her again this year.  I must not know myself very well because although it TOTALLY stresses me out, I can't help but overdo it when it comes to celebrating these little people in my life.  Once again, I started small and ended up overexerting myself.  During the chaos of preparation before our little guests arrived, I stopped in my race tracks and had a little moment.  I think deep down I always knew this, but when I go overboard on these parties, I'm not really doing it for the kids.  I'm doing it for ME!  It's so selfish!  The same thing goes for making Valentines.  Weeks of preparation goes into this little card I present to Chase on V-Day.  I know he would love just a sweet, simple, and heartfelt card but instead I scour Pinterest for the coolest, most fantastic way to show my love.  I end up spending HOURS making these crafts and after all is said and done, instead of Chase getting up in the middle of the night to admire my handy work, I am the one putting George back to bed and smiling as I admire the scalloped edges, the pretty ribbons, and the overall back braking waste of time.  I guess I just love to create.  I would never feel comfortable pinning any of my own creations for others to see, but the need to make beautiful things has become an ever increasing obsession.   

Because I didn't want to be the crazy lady from last year's party, I decided to make things easier on me and just buy all the food.  Making it would have probably sent me over the edge.  Friday night before the party Julie forced me off my procrastinating bum and took me to HEB to get all the supplies.  I love it when friends realize you're overwhelmed before you even get started and totally step up to the plate!  Julie helped me pick out the cutest food, whipped out tissue paper balls, made adorable fruit skewers, and kept me laughing most of the night.  I failed to mention that they are moving here and my life will drastically increase in joy about 110%!!


I decided that in Texas, a tea party is TOTALLY appropriate around a bright red picnic table:-)


The first thing the girls did was come in and make party hats and necklaces.  The all looked so cute with their accessories.

Girls are much more behaved than boys.  But to be sure everyone was aware of what table manners were expected at a fancy tea party, we read "Tea for Ruby" by the Duchess of York. 

I could tell they were listening because I heard very little shouting and lots of "pleases" and "thank yous."  Such sweet little girls.


Jack was sooooo bored!!  He spent most of his time eating doughnut holes at the refreshment table.

Next up the birthday girl requested a dance party.  We turned on some fun music and they pranced all over the back yard.  Jack could finally have some fun too.  He jumped right in and ran circles all around the dancers.  I love him!!

Sadie then requested musical chairs.  I didn't want to drag out 11 chairs, so we used place mats instead.  It worked out swimmingly!  At this point all the manners the Duchess of York instilled had all but disappeared!

Then it was time to sing to the lady Sadie!!  I love how bashful she gets when we sing to her.  When I brought cupcakes to her school she just looked down and colored when her class started singing.  It's hard to be famous, even for only a moment:-)

Our fancy and dainty little party guests!

After it was all over I told Julie to remind me next year (because she will be here!!!) to keep it simple.  We both laughed because we know that will NEVER happen. 

Happy Birthday Sadie.  I LOVE YOU SOOOOOOO MUCH!!

No comments: