The Cannon Family

The Cannon Family

Monday, October 20, 2008

Dad would be proud!!


I used to think that car camping was a total "red neck" thing to do. I was taught that real camping consisted of strapping everything you will need on your back (the less the better) and backpacking deep into the forest where no one could possibly find you. Us Etherington girls were lucky to grow up with a Dad who took us on these little adventures quite frequently and I have fond memories of singing silly songs, looking at the vibrant starry nights and getting lost bushwhacking with Dad leading the way(sort of). I have always wanted to carry on this tradition with my own children but often when we were asked to go camping in San Diego we couldn't imagine taking Sadie out and sleeping in a tent. I just didn't want to be the one with the screaming kid all night that wouldn't go to sleep. So we always said no in hopes that one day we would feel Sadie (and we) were up for the challenge.

Well the day finally came. Our buds the Gardners asked us to go with them and we decided that Sadie is finally ready to sleep in a tent. I do laugh now that I think about taking her backpacking because to me this seems utterly impossible. I don't think we could have carried a fourth of what we brought in our car on our backs. I have become quite accustomed to sleeping with not one, but two body pillows. They of course were in attendance along with Sadie's noise maker (equipped with batteries of course), a pack and play, a bazillion blankets, three layers of pajamas, three more pillows, and not to mention all the food we tugged along. At this point I'm thinking that a backpacking trip will be a few, if not several years down the road.

Sadie was a champ. Although she didn't fall asleep right away, she serenaded us with beautiful music while us adults talked around the camp fire. It was fun hanging out with the Gardners as we talked politics with some splashes of sports (can you imagine anything less with Chase and John in the picture). The next morning we were awakened by gun shots from the nearby shooting range and heavy bladders from not wanting to get out of our sleeping bags all night. Car camping is hilarious. I love that the kids just ran around the camp site getting filthy, picking up sticks, throwing rocks, and eating whatever was left in the bag I packed the night before. So I guess we are red necks but probably not as red as the people next to us with their trailers and rifles shooting bullets into the air. I'm glad Sadie made the trek from the car to the tent. I guess Hogan Fork, the Narrows, Wind Rivers, and the West Rim trail will have to wait. Until then, we'll just keep being red.

5 comments:

Gardner's said...

AHH!! looking at your pictures makes me want to go again!! Lizzy still asks every night if she can sleep in a tent. I agree that backpacking might be a few years out for us as well...but hey, we do what we can!! And the pics of sadie falling down that slide are classic!!

j and k said...

But, you don't have mullets, so you're a step up from car camping hillbillys. I think it looked like a blast! I wish we could do that together! I would have loved to have seen you-noise maker, body pillows and all-Fashionable Camping! I miss you!

henderson family said...

Hey this may seem totally crazy, I know you probably have no idea who I am but I know the Cannons and I stumbled across your blog a little while ago. I was reading this post and saw that you use a noise maker for Sadie? I am looking into getting one for my daughter and was wondering what kind you have and if you like it? We have baby #2 coming so I want something that will drown out the newborn crying all night. Totally random I know, but I've been trying to find one of these forever. So if you want to leave a comment on my blog that would be awesome. Thanks!

The Beckstroms said...

Hey you! Looks like you guys had such a great time. I am glad that it went better than when we tried to go camping and all got strep..in June. Anyway, I also have a question about where you got the pattern for those cute hats you make. I would love to make one for Caroline! Just let me know, it was so fun to see you guys in D.C., even if it was brief. Adam is looking into law schools right now..who knows where we'll end up!

Maren said...

Hey Chase and Abby! I just googled "living room hike" a couple of minutes ago to find where the trail begins for the hike up Red Butte and I was brought to your blog. Funny, cuz I actually know you! Glad to see that you're doing well. I can't believe how big Sadie looks. She actually has hair! Maybe I'll see you around Christmas at GB's house. Take care.