The Cannon Family

The Cannon Family

Friday, October 3, 2008

Tri to Stop Her



I have been trying for a long time, with little success, to get Abby to do a triathlon. Finally, with the persuasian of her good friend Brandi, she signed up for the Jordanelle Triathlon, held at Jordanelle Reservoir during August.



Abby trained in San Diego, doing her running along our sweet canyon trail, and her swimming at the clubhouse pool. She did some stationary biking at the gym, but had not even taken a ride on a real bike until the week of the triathlon. We taught her how to clip in and out of her pedals on the bike two days before the race. Luckily, she is a lot smarter than I am, because I fell over frequently learning how to do this simple act...she didn't fall once.



On race day, Abby headed to Jordanelle early. Sadie and I arrived, thanks to the Race Directors who gave us a three-mile walk to the transition area, just as Abby was getting out of the water and onto the bike. Sadie and I hung out and threw rocks into Jordanelle until Abby returned from the bike.



Abby quickly made the transition from bike to run, and was soon high-fiving spectators as she headed out on the 5k run. Unfortunately, this was right about the time the temperature was rising, and fast. (I don't understand why they started the race at 10:00 am, why not six or seven, and get it in before the heat...?)



Anyway, the next time we saw Abby was as she was rounding the corner to the finish line. She looked FANTASTIC as she crossed and put her arms up in relief!!
Just when I was thinking that Abby and I were going to be triathletes together for the rest of our lives, Abby crashed into my arms in exhaustion and said, "I am NEVER EVER EVER going to do that again!"



Despite Abby's angst and exhaustion, Sadie and I were proud that she endured to the end and is now officially a TRIATHLETE!!!




That's right....just Tri and stop her!!

9 comments:

lbb said...

way to go, abby! those are fun, but i agree...never really care to do them anymore!
i met your cute companion at plewe's wedding! she's a doll and we both raved about you! small world, eh?

Ie Li said...

Abby, you're amazing! I can't even imagine doing something like that! Way to go!

Keeping up with the Joneses said...

WOW! I'm way impressed!! Are you kidding me?? That made me tired just reading it. Abby you are my HERO! You go girl!

The Cannons said...

Thanks for the post Chse. I'm inpressed with your details but I have to add a few of my own. I might add that the swim scared me to death. In a pool it took me 15 minutes. In the lake, (open water) with a wet suit, it took me 30. I had no idea how hard it is to swim in open water. The wet suit pushed against my wind pipe so I could barely breath and I did the whole 750 meters on my back going off coarse while being directed back to the path by nearby canoes. Thanks guys. I couldn't see where I was going!! I pretty much swam twice as long as anyone else because I kept going off coarse. What a nightmare!! Lets not forget to mention dringking about a gallon of water that nearby swimmers splashed in my face. Thanks to you as well guys. Still a very cool experience. But like Chase said, I will NEVER do it again. I think I actually said as I collapsed into his arms "that was the hardest thing I have ever done...please don't ever make me do that again." The smile on my face is deceiving.

Lindsey Jefferies said...

Abbs I'm so impressed! Way to go!!!By the way, you look really good. If training for a triathon gets you in as good as shape as you look, then sign me up!

j and k said...

Holy moly Flabbs (which obviously we've always said in jest becuase you're so dang thin all the time!) You rock!!!!!!!!!!! I'm SO proud of you!

Kim and Corey Nasfell said...

WHOA! That is INCREDIBLE! Way to go Abby! That's so inspiring! I'd love to be able to do that! You're a superstar!!

Jenn & Cardy said...

Congratultions Abby! A triathalon is truly an accomplishment. Way to go, sister!

Erin said...

AMAZING! Congratulations, that is a HUGE accomplishment! WAHOO!!