The Cannon Family

The Cannon Family

Sunday, October 5, 2008

A Series of Unfortunate Events

So we finally arrived in D.C. The Todds were great again and let us stay with them until we found a place to live. Each day consisted of us getting in the car and driving around from appointment to appointment meeting real estate agents and home owners only to find they were charging $2000 a month for a total dump that often smelled like mildew...whew..run on sentence. I broke down a few times and said "I don't understand how people can charge so much to live here when all they have to offer are humid, mosquito infesting weather, no beach, serious traffic and a nasty home." The $2000 just didn't seam reasonable especially because we were paying a lot less in San Diego which had no bugs, perfect weather, year round pool and hot tub, tennis courts, trail, and beach. It's still hard for me to understand the housing market out here. However, after a long search and many sleepy car rides for Sadie we found our place. It's in Oakton and is totally updated with a new kitchen and hardwood floors. And we are still close to our buds the Gardners and the Mechams.

So you're probably thinking "what's so unfortunate about that." Well our troubles came and hit us like a ton of bricks. A few days before we moved out of the Todd's, our car was broken into and out of it was stolen our Ipod, Ipod radio converter, Portable DVD player, all of our DVD's (that were in a case), and Chase's brand new Ray Ban sunglasses. It added up to about $1000 of goods taken from us. We were upset but realized that other than the Disney dvd's (that are all in vaults...so silly), everything can eventually be replaced. The dumbest part is that I left the car unlocked. I practically invited the thief into our car!!

Our next event was having to move in which is never fun. This is what welcomed us when the pod arrived. Mechams, Gardners and Todds helped us move in which was so nice. So at this point we were feeling a little bruised recovering from the move and being robbed. Then.....

It wasn't until three days later that Chase got off the Metro Stop at Vienna and as he walked to the motorcycles to put in his key, he realized that our beloved Tootsie wasn't there. She was stolen!!! The same week!!! Chase called me and I ran to our car where I could scream all I wanted with out anyone hearing me. I screamed and screamed until I lost my voice. I kept looking up and shrieking "why"? So our running total of stolen goods is now up to $2400. Definitely a blow.

Amongst all these horrific "unfortunate events" I found that even though my body is itching like crazy from mosquito bites, Chase, Sadie and I are all safe and healthy. We live in a beautiful home and got a great price (we talked our landlord down hooray!!)

(More interior shots to come. We're still moving things around in here). We get to spent more time together because I take and pick Chase up from the Metro every day now. Fall is approaching and D.C. has never looked more beautiful. So although there's a big dent in our pocketbooks, we're happy we're together and that we're still completely head over heels for one another. We have wonderful friends here and have already met some amazing new people in our new ward. I truly am a very blessed woman. I have no right to complain but sometimes a little cry and a big scream in the car is in order on a dreary, scooter stealing, rainy day.

7 comments:

*Leslie* said...

Oh I'm so sorry! What a sad week. I just don't understand how people can steal things. I'm glad you found a cute place and I'm really impressed by your positive attitude. Good luck getting settled!

Keeping up with the Joneses said...

Okay now I feel bad I ever mentioning getting Chase's lisence plates. That was probably another blow. Wow! That totally bites Abby!! I'm sooo sorry. That's a real nice "Welcome to the neighborhood" or "how do ya do" On the bright side your place is ADORABLE! And Chase has a real job!! (So jelouse of that one.) Way to go Chase! Lil' Sadie looks so grown up going to pre-school and she is getting so much hair. (wouldn't know what that was like:) I can't wait to see you pictures of the inside of your place. You make your home feel so cozy! (trying to re-create that effect here) Good luck with everything!

j and k said...

SO sad! I'm so sorry! Nothing is more frustrating and unfair and I"m so sorry it all hit at once. On the up side, your house is adorable!!!

Kim and Corey Nasfell said...

YOWZA!!!! You poor things! Talk about "trial of your faith"! I'm so sorry to hear about the robberies!! So sad!!! Your new place does look simply adorable though!!

Ashley McNair said...

I'm so sorry about the break in and then the scooter. Gosh! Well, I do really like your place and it seems like Sadie is loving her preschools. And, you are a triathelete!? Amazing Abby!

Darger Party of 3 said...

I am so sorry! You place sounds beautiful though. Come see us in NYC!! We sure miss you guys and miss San Diego. Glad you could see the silver lining not sure I could do that...

Jill T said...

Oh Abbs--I am so sorry! What a disaster! Your beloved Tootsie--I feel so bad. My brother-in-law got his ipod stolen out of his car in Boston. That just sucks.

I'm happy to hear that you finally found a decent place to live and can't wait to see pictures.

If Behrad and I move to DC, we'll make sure we move close to you! If Behrad gets a job with the FBI, he'll go into training in DC for 5 months and I'll be coming out once a month to visit him--I'll be excited to hang out with you if that happens.

Hopefully things will be looking up!