The Cannon Family

The Cannon Family

Monday, February 8, 2010

SNOWMAGEDDON 2010

We were told this would be the biggest storm to hit Virginia since 1922. Heck, the governor of VA declared a snow emergency more than 12 hours before a single flake even fell. Most were off to buy supplies before the "snowpocalypse" dumped up to 30 inches. I wasn't too worried. I'm from Utah for heaven's sake. I can honestly tell my children that I walked a mile to school in feet of snow. School was never cancelled. In fact, I remember seeing my physics teacher with a pair of cross country skis heading down 9th south to East High. I was usually the only student there because I lived close enough to walk and I had a sturdy pair of Sorrel snow boots. Chase and I laughed at the crazy East Coasters for emptying the shelves at the grocery stores and filling up their bath tubs with water. Even the animals seemed a little worried.

I happened to stop by Whole Foods just because everyone was making me think I would be inside for the next 72 hours. The place was a zoo!! I've never seen anything like it. I heard on the news that evening that they ended up closing the doors because there were too many people.
It wasn't until the next morning that I realized this was way bigger than any Utah storm I had ever experienced. I couldn't believe how much snow we received. Alta and Snowbird would salivate at the sight of our streets, cars, and back yards!! We were fortunate to not be among the 100,000 or so people with out power (including Uncle Chris and his family in Maryland). We were also fortunate to live in an HOA because our roads were plowed every three hours. Chris told us that even if they wanted to go somewhere warm they couldn't have gotten out of their driveway, or up their street.
The main roads had so much packed snow that we took full advantage and hooked up the boogie board once again to the scooter for some more hookie bobbing:-) We weren't the only ones with the bright idea. Our neighbors pulled out their snowboards and sliced up and down the snowbanks behind a Jeep.

It was so much fun, we called the other Cannons to join us. It took them nearly an hour or more just to dig out their car.

I took us a while just to open our front door. Our neighbor couldn't get out of his. He ended up going out his back door and trudging through the snow up to his knees to get to his shovel by the front door.

Chase and I laughed at the fact that we dedicated most of the morning getting our scooter out and didn't even bother with the car. We also are pleased to announce that all the snow piled up around our shoveled out vehicles somewhat resembles a garage. We've always wanted one of those.

Everyone had cabin fever so we stayed outside as long as our cold toes would permit and headed indoors for some mac n' cheese and a little 101 Dalmations. We are supposed to get up to 20 more inches more in a few days and I already have plans for an igloo. We have that much snow!! SO..MUCH...FUN!!

1 comment:

Keeping up with the Joneses said...

Oh my word thats a lot of snow!! Well at least you all made the best of it! Snowmageddon sounds just about right :) PS your lil Jack is such a cutie pie.