The Cannon Family

The Cannon Family

Tuesday, May 11, 2010

A chip off the old block

I've always heard that one day you'll look at yourself, your mannerisms, and quirks and realize that you have become the spitting image of your mother. Sadie and I were looking at some old photos the other day and she pointed to one of my Mom in her 20's and said "look mommy, it's you!" Although many wouldn't look forward to the moment when the leaf falls close to the tree, but I couldn't be more pleased to be compared to such an amazing woman. I've learned so much from her and find myself doing all the same things and wanting all the same virtues for my children.



I remember driving to piano lessons while listening to either Billy Joel or Mozart (those were the only options). I can easily say that's about all I let my kids listen to. If you happen to jump into my car, you'll hear some Mozart. It calms me and calms my children.



I used to make fun of mom for tapping her fingers on the steering wheel while she drove. I do the exact same thing!! I play the concertos with my fingers!! I hope that in 20 some odd years I can become half the woman that she is. In the mean time I'll focus on all the wonderful attributes I have been taught by my marvelous mother:

1: There's nothing more therapeutic than a little shopping. When I first got home from my mission, I was totally depressed and wanted nothing more than to return to Spain. We were all eating dinner and as I looked around at all my siblings, I just started to cry. My mom, who wanted my transition to be easier said "all you need are some new clothes and you'll feel a lot better." That night she took me down to their store and we picked out a few articles to brighten my day. That little spree to the Children's Hour was actually quite enlightening. I didn't feel like the odd ball anymore.

2: There's no greater joy than doing what you love. I think my mom is one of the only people on the face of the earth who LOVES her job. She wakes up excited every morning to head down to her boutique and see all of her friends. She works hard, but to her it's fun!! Sometimes we have to peel her away.

3: Pure devotion. My mom would do anything for her children. With that comes dedication. She taught us that if we ever want to succeed in anything, we have to work hard for it. Her countless hours with me at the piano, and lessons were not in vain. Every time I sit down at a piano to play, I think of her and how hard it was to get us to practice.

4: Pure style. My mom has the most amazing taste in everything. From dishes, to napkins, to clothing, to hair, she is one classy lady. I would often go on buying trips with her to New York, LA, and Vegas. Sometimes I would doubt a few of the pieces she picked out, but once they were shipped to the store, she couldn't keep them on the floor. People buy her merchandise because it's amazing. She really is a very talented buyer. She thinks of her individual customers and always has them in mind. I was always proven wrong when I told her something she picked out wouldn't sell. It always did!!

5: Etiquette. You can just call her Emily Post. She's pretty much a reference guide to any question regarding how to handle any situation. From setting the table to writing a card, we were always on our toes to impress at the dinner table.

6: Dinner tonight, no problem! After working at her store all day, taking us to piano, or picking us up from ballet, she some how managed to make an amazing, healthy meal. I am always calling her for cooking advice or for a favorite recipe. She's an incredible cook and very innovative in the kitchen.

7: Have faith. She recently told me that she never worries about her children because we are all faithful member of the church. She knows that if we're paying our tithing, attending church, and magnifying our callings then the Lord will worry for her.

8: Never give up. No matter how many times I tried out for something or ran for an election she was always behind me 100%. They weren't always successful endeavors but she never discouraged me from trying again. I recall one day when finding out I hadn't placed in a certain group, I learned that she had been to the temple all morning praying that I would.

9: Forgiveness. I wasn't the nicest teenager. In fact I am probably accountable for a few of my parent's gray hairs. Mom and I didn't always get along, but now that I am married and have children of my own, I realize the heart ache that comes from a child who doesn't appreciate all you sacrifice for them. I appreciate her now and even though it's a little belated, she was always forgiving and loved me no matter what.

10: Read and read some more. This woman loves to read. She can finish a novel in two hours!! I was shocked when we took a flight to LA and she read a book cover to cover. At birthday parties I was always embarrassed because instead of giving Strawberry Shortcakes or GI Joes, my mom always bought books for our friends. Of course, now that I'm older, I realize those are by far the best gifts. They keep on giving every time you open them. When Sadie was born she put together all of my favorite books we read as a child and gave them to me to start my own collection. Such treasures!!

11: I'm going to brag now. My mom has taught me humility. I can mention my mom's name pretty much anywhere and people know her. They either know her from television where she does a weekly book review, or from her amazing store, The Children's Hour. I Googled her the other day and she was all over the place. She's never one to shout how cool she is from the housetops, but everyone knows how amazing she is!!

12: Love and be loved. I feel loved and all my siblings feel loved. Whether it's because she's concerned about your recent troubles, or flying out to help you with a new baby, or her generosity, Mom makes you feel loved. There is no greater feeling.


Happy Mother's Day Mom. When I grow up I want to be you!!

1 comment:

Erin said...

what a sweet post :) You definitely inherited her amazing mothering qualities...you are a beautiful mother Abby!