The Cannon Family

The Cannon Family

Friday, May 28, 2010

We have a four year old!!

Today Sadie asked me if it was still mother's day to which I responded "no", she shot back with "well then I can do whatever I want." I guess we only have to be nice to Mom on Mother's Day. I feel like Sadie woke up and decided that because she's four, she's in charge. With her "diva-esque" personality comes some funny little stories:

Today while we were at Target, she ran up to the sliding doors and yelled, "ABRE"(open in Spanish) and was delighted to see that they obeyed her request. A few minutes later she needed to go to the bathroom and couldn't figure out why yelling "ABRE" wasn't opening the door. I had to help her with that one.
Her little Spanish words crack me up. She'll just throw a couple in there like tonight at dinner. She was explaining how her glass slippers with heels kind of look like slides. One slide goes down, abajo, and the other goes up....ariba. You gotta love that Dora the Explorer.

Speaking of Dora. We record them on the DVR and sometimes some commercials get on there. I was amazed at how well the marketers got to my little girl. She came into my room one morning asking me for some Lelli Kelly shoes with the eye shadow, the lipstick and the mascara, just like the ones on t.v. I used to be able to take her to a store and she would be ok if we didn't buy anything for her. Lately she wants EVERYTHING!! She'll look at My Little Pony pamphlets and explain to me that she doesn't have any of THOSE ponies and needs to get them. I told her she needed to make some more money so she could buy some more ponies and she responded with "but mommy, I don't know how to drive." I guess obtaining the money is no problem, it's getting to the ponies that's got her in a rut.

My mom gave her some new Sunday shoes and no matter how much I tell her they are just to wear on Sunday's I always find her wearing them. When I told her to take them off she said "but mommy, they are just too beautiful. I just can't resist." She says the same thing when her eyes itch and I tell her to stop rubbing her eyes; "Mommy, they just itch SO bad. I just can't resist!!"
I gave her some My little Pony Fruit snacks the other day and she ate a couple and put the rest aside. When asked what she was doing she replied "they are just too beautiful to eat."


Sadie had a friend over the other day and she was talking about private parts (she has an older sister). I thought I had at least a few more years before I had to start discussing human anatomy. I overheard them and announced that we don't talk about those things in our house. Noticing the similarity of the words Sadie said "but we can say Virginia, and Utah, and South America, right Mommy?" Hopefully we won't have to discuss that for a few more years. We'll just keep saying "Virginia...., Utah and South America."

Her prayers sound a little like this: "Heavenly Father, thank you for this day, thank you for this beautiful family, bless Heavenly Father..he loves us, bless Jesus...he loves us too. Please help Jack, he's a poom pom. Please bless Daddy that he will get home safely and he's home now safely. I love my ponies and M&M's. Thank you for my ponies, my Clifford and my bah and bless everything that I love in the name of Jesus Christ Amen."

I try to read to Sadie every day but every time I do, I get VERY sleepy. One such afternoon after reading about an hours worth of books, I asked Sades if we could have a little "quiet time". I immediately zonked on the couch and when I woke up Sadie was standing nearby with a glass of water on the coffee table. As I sat up she said "Mommy, I thought you would be thirsty so I got you some water." Sometimes if we're lucky, Sades will snuggle up with us on the couch for a long afternoon nap. This is a new development. Usually she's WAY too hyper but ever since we've dropped the afternoon nap, she's needed a little snuggle to catch up on some sleep.


Sadie had her friend Lilly over the other day who has an imaginary friend "Mr. Nobody." Sadie obviously loved the idea of having a person around all the time to play with so she invented one of her own. Her name is Binky and she's Sadie's "sister." We've had to get out of chairs that Binky is sitting in. We've had to share out food with her. She asked Chase to watch her while we were at the pool so she wouldn't drown. I'm not sure how long this fetish will last, but it's pretty funny for now.


On the way out the door the other day I motioned Sadie to hurry faster than she was currently walking. She responded "I can't go that fast. I don't have my running shoes on." It doesn't help that eating takes about two hours. I've stopped "feeding her" because she is well over the age of having her mom and dad force food down her throat. She is so used to being probed to eat that meal time has become VERY annoying. We're usually done with dinner and sitting in the other room waiting for her to finish long before she's even started eating. She takes her jolly time and keeps us waiting FOREVER. This is why we are usually RUSHING out the door whenever we have to go anywhere because eating takes 6 hours everyday!! It would be so much faster to feed her on my own. Sometimes I give in on lazy days. Sadie fights hard and has a very determined little mind. Sometimes it's just easier to let her win every once in a while.

When we were eating dinner the other night she of course didn't want to eat the enchiladas I had prepared. We threatened no dessert and an early bedtime and she shot back with "it tastes BLAND to me." How does she even know what that means!!

She calls maxi pads "Lilly Pads" and yells her daily conversation from the bathroom while we are eating dinner. She definitely has an "open door policy." When Uncle Chad was being our "manny" (man nanny) for the night he closed the door while she was going to the bathroom. She immediately chastised him and said she only needed privacy (door closed) for #2 and left the door wide open.


The hardest thing for me to hear these days is "I can do whatever I want." It drives me crazy because she CAN'T. It's like we are already battling with a teenager. She's obsessed with being four and because she's four she's no longer scared of anything, can run faster, and can do "whatever she wants." She also checks the sizes on her clothing when she gets dressed for the day and asks "is this for a three year old or four year old." We've marked all of her shoes with a R for Right and L for Left so she can put them on herself. She changes her outfit a couple times a day and puts together some AMAZING ensembles. She told me the other day "mommy, I have prettier clothes than you." With Mimi providing the wardrobe, she's probably right.



When we watched General Conference on Easter Sunday she was BORED!! Once the session was over she shouted out "FINALLY."


She randomly started talking about pirates the other day. She asked me "you know who doesn't like pink...Pirates. You know who sleeps with quesadillas...pirates." We discovered that she can wink at dinner last week. Pops will be so jealous. Aunt Emily too. Neither of them can wink yet and they are WAY older than four!!

Sometimes when I am running around the house doing laundry or cleaning, Sadie will follow my every footstep. When I asked her why she was following me she said "Mommy, I always like to follow you because I just love you mommy."



She is obsessed with cleaning out the dirt in between her toes and attempted to clean out Jack's toes as well. It reminds me of the monkey's at the zoo that clean bugs out of each other's hair.:-)

Other than the daily timeouts (she covers her ears when she's being disciplined), Sadie's a pretty spectacular little being. She has a ton of personality and I love watching her grow into a little lady. We're doing our best to facilitate a little etiquette along the way. She gets mad at us if we don't raise our pinkies when we drink our water and if we talk with our mouths full. The tantrums we can do without, but we love our little Sadie and wouldn't change a thing about her!!





1 comment:

Eliza said...

Just had to comment that my niece actually does call it a "Virginia." Cracked me up when I first heard that.