The Cannon Family

The Cannon Family

Saturday, September 17, 2011

We have a Kindergartner!!

I remember when Sadie was born Chase and I talked about how far away Kindergarten seemed. I knew then it would be an emotional day with her sleeping little body in my arms. Why are parents sad when their kids go to school all day for the first time? They drive us crazy when they're home and we're always looking for something to do to entertain them. Why then do we cry days leading up to the event? Probably because we're handing our child over to someone else to mold and influence every day for 7 hours.
The night before while I was packing her lunch it really started to hit me. Have I taught her how to be brave and how to stand up to bullies? Did I teach her to be nice to everyone and obedient to her teacher? She certainly didn't always obey me at home:-)

While writing her a little note to put in her lunchbox, I totally broke down. Probably because I'm pregnant and probably because she's my first baby and the younger years are over. I don't have too many regrets. I just hope she'll be ok.
Her school starts at 7:30...brutal I know. We were used
to getting out of bed at 8 every morning so that alone made for a rude awakening her first day. I somehow managed to get her breakfast while my eyes filled with tears. I was dreading the next half hour. I knew I would lose it once we dropped her off.
I cried down the hallway, composed myself to say hello to the teacher and then hid my wet eyes from her while I hugged my little Sadie and watched her hang up her back pack. I cried the whole way back to the car and nearly fainted when I got home because through it all, I forgot to feed my pregnant belly that morning. That's the sad part. The joyful part is, Sadie was TOTALLY fine!! She walked right in there and sat down like it was any other day. I guess I did teach her how to be brave.

1 comment:

Jessica said...

I teared up while reading this post. Matthew still has TWO years before kindergarten. I am a total baby. Plus, the school he will go to (Navy Elementary) just switched to full day kindergarten this year. I was so sad about that! How can they be gone all day as little five year olds?

I am glad Sadie is doing well. We sure miss you guys!