The Cannon Family

The Cannon Family

Saturday, December 13, 2014

Ward Christmas Party

I received an email in November from the Bishop asking if Chase and I, along with the Robinsons, would be willing to put on the ward Christmas party this year.  I didn't respond immediately because I honestly REALLY didn't want to do it!!  Being 8 months pregnant was a huge factor and also knowing the work involved would totally overwhelm me was another.  But my mission president made me promise that I'd never reject a calling, so we agreed.  In retrospect, I probably should have said no.  It really stressed me out.  We (I) were put over decor while the Robinsons arranged the program.  Figuring out centerpieces and how to make a ginormous space where people normally play basketball look good was quite an undertaking.  I also felt a lot of pressure from the Bishop when he asked that we make the evening a very special, festive and spiritual environment where investigators could feel the love of Christ.  I knew it was possible but coming up with everything took me FOREVER and several trips to Hobby Lobby!!
I also had A TON of help from these angelic peeps right here.  They were at the church ALL day helping us steam table runners, setting up the nativity and stringing lights.  I was almost in tears several times that night from total gratitude for all the people that assisted this poor pregnant lady!!

It turned out to be a beautiful night.  I bought green tablecloths, red table runners, lots of poinsettias and made these cute Christmas quote cards for people to take home.  I had a very low budget to work with, so was very grateful we could borrow the lights and pine trees from the stake RS.  


The Young Women set up a beautiful "reflection room" with several nativities and a couch where they could relax and think about the Savior.  

We also had a gingerbread house contest.  There were some pretty spectacular houses brought in!!

My favorite part of the evening was the live nativity.  We asked all the kids that have been baptized this year to wear white and be part of the "heavenly host" to welcome the baby Jesus into the world.  The hardest part of the evening was keeping kids off the stage and keeping the nativity in tact.  I yelled (or I should say, was VERY stern) at one particular kid who continued to go up on the stage.  "Feisty Abby" definitely made an appearance that night and I'm sure there are some kids (and adults) who are now afraid of me.   

The program was beautiful with many musical numbers and the cute primary kids singing carols.  It was a great night!!

Among all the chaos, planning and cleaning, I had 30 minutes to run home, stick my greasy hair in a bun and race back to make sure all was well before people started arriving.  We almost forgot to get our picture taken at the "Macy" photo booth.   

My feet were the size of cinder blocks when I got home and I was more than relieved to have the whole thing over!!  I probably earned a few new varicose veins too.  This party has been a looming cloud over our family for the past month, so now that's it's over, we can finally REALLY enjoy this holiday season!!

No comments: