The Cannon Family

The Cannon Family

Sunday, January 27, 2008

President Hinckley




I've been meaning to post this for a week and now that I've heard the news of President Hinckley's passing I find there isn't a better time. Last Sunday Garden Park Ward (my home ward in SLC) was re-dedicated after a lengthy restoration. I was fortunate enough to be in town and attended with my family. It was an amazing event but very subtle at the same time. President Hinckley attended along with Elder Oaks, and Elder Wirthlin. Garden Park Ward has a great deal of history being the home ward to President Joseph F. Smith, Mirium G. Romney, and Bruce R. McConkie. We were all very pleased to hear that President Hinckley would be attending to re-dedicate the building. I was surprised to see him being pushed in a wheel chair and he looked very frail. His son (our stake President) Clark Hinckley spoke as well as Elder Wirthlin and Oaks. President Hinckley re-dedicated the building with a prayer. He had a difficult time speaking and often paused to catch his breath. There wasn't a dry eye in the building as I heard sniffles all around me. I think a lot of us knew he was giving one of his last public prayers. A week later at around the the same time as the re-dedication (6 p.m.) he passed away. I thought about him passing away last week and it made me very sad. However, now that the news has reached me, I am happy knowing that he is reunited with his sweet Marjorie (probably the cutest little lady that ever lived). I love knowing that he is in a glorious place and happier than we can all possibly imagine.

2 comments:

Doug and Merrill said...

Hi Abby! I was randomly looking to see if anyone posted photos of the rededication (why there'd be photos, I don't know), and I came across your site. I envy those, including my parents, in attendance last Sunday to see him for his last few moments.

j and k said...

So sweet, Abbs. I really loved your thoughts. You were blessed to have seen him before he left this earth.