The Cannon Family

The Cannon Family

Monday, September 21, 2009

First Days

Sadie did joy school last year and she loved it!! In fact I was seriously debating a co-op school again this year but I know I would be completely worn out with a new born. We decided to put her in the same preschool that Aunt Cate sent Nathan to when they lived in Penderbrooke. I was glad to have her recommendation and also because the director loves Cate so much, I was immediately "grandfathered" in. This was a relief because I was worried about finding a spot for Sadie when oftentimes the spaces go so quickly you end up somewhere not as fun.
I am very excited because not only are her teachers AMAZING but there are only four kids per teacher. I know Sadie will be getting one on one time with them which reassures me quite a bit. We went to orientation on Wednesday and Sadie was a little reluctant to talk to anyone (probably because I was there....why are Mom's such spoilers? Sadie always has so much fun until I show up:-). We met her teachers and the other 7 kids who seem to be great little friends.
The next day we dropped her off for her first day. I was worried that after a whole summer of being with just me she would have a hard time once we said goodbye. Her teacher told us to leave as quickly as possible (something I totally agree with) so things don't get too dramatic. Sadie was a little scared so I took her into her room, sat her down and said goodbye. I was told that after I left she was great!! I even showed up a little early and watched her play on the play ground from the window. She looked very happy and self assured.
When she saw me she ran up and gave me the biggest hug and said..."mommy...mommy...I was SO brave. I was a little bit sad but I was so so brave." I am so proud of her for being so courageous. The next week when I dropped her off she didn't even say goodbye to me. All I saw was the back of her head as she ran into Miss Jane's arms. I felt a little sting in my heart because although I want her to be brave...it's nice to be needed too. I reminded her that I hadn't had my hug yet and of course she turned around and squeezed Jack first and then gave me a little kiss. Her teachers are so fun I was a little jealous that she got to stay and I had to leave. A part of me just wanted to stay and hang out with all these fun women. Sadie loves her new little buddies. She even said as we were walking out to the car "Mom, I love my new preschool friends." It's going to be a great year. Thanks again for the recommendation Cate.

No comments: