The Cannon Family

The Cannon Family

Sunday, April 17, 2011

Frontier Days

I promise this will be the last post involving livestock but when I say it's everywhere, I mean it. Every festival around here has animals which I love because Austin doesn't have a suitable zoo. My kids need to get their animals fix somewhere. Every year they have a Frontier Festival at the park to celebrate Texas..I guess. It seems the people here find any excuse to celebrate the Lone Star State. We don't mind. Free and fun activities for the kids are right up our alley. As long as it's pleasant outside we'll be there. We're trying to get in as much outside time as possible because we've heard about the horrific summers and the need to stay indoors for two months straight.
Of course there were pony rides so that was a given. I was pretty impressed that the petting zoo included a lama, a huge tortoise and a camel! I've never seen one of those up close before. I might have enjoyed all the scruffy, dirty animals more than my kids.
Of course Sadie was thrilled to ride a pony again but Jack only stayed on for a minute after saying "all done...all done" several times. I guess he's not as into them as we thought.
After the train ride (which Jack thoroughly enjoyed) and some dancing with the live country music Sadie asked for a treat. These kids of ours are sure cute but they really seem to get in the way when I just want to line dance and swing with my hubby. Jack wouldn't even let me put him down. The band was so fun and I feel guilty saying I just wanted the kids to disappear for 5 minutes...that's all. Just one dance with my Chase. I bought her a shaved ice and it took some persuading to get her to like it. After a while she liked the ice so much she started screaming when Chase put a spoon full in his mouth. This was our cue to get going. When something this small sets her off we know it's time for bed. Sadie never really got over the fact that she had to share with her Dad so we threw the slush in the trash because we're really trying to work on being "grateful." If she can't be grateful and polite when we give her something nice, it goes in the trash.

Once we had them strapped in their car seats we closed the doors, shut out the screams, and could finally hear the awesome band playing in the distance. This was our chance for five minutes of freedom (where's Grandma when you really need her). With the children safe and screaming in the car Chase and I danced in the parking lot! It was short and extremely sweet. Sadie kept opening her door to tell us we could "dance when we got home." We continued to ignore her and kept on dancing. It was dreamy and kind of fun to make Sadie mad...is that bad that I'm already teasing my children?
Sadie was so upset that we threw her slush away, the defiant little thing went into the pantry while we were getting Jack ready for bed and ate a "starwars" (starburst) just to prove she was in charge." Sadie rubbed her defiant little act in our faces a week later. She wouldn't dream of telling us she was disobedient the same day. She's smart like that. Oh Sadie, please be a nice teenager...please!

No comments: