The Cannon Family

The Cannon Family

Saturday, April 23, 2011

A new addition

After 6 years of being a "grown up" we finally bought a lawnmower. I had serious issues with this purchase. Everywhere we have lived in the past I watched the HOA cut our lawns. I always thought they cut it too often and wasted too much petrol. Don't even get me started on leaf blowers that move leaves from one end of the yard to another to find the next day another pile has fallen from the trees. Besides, I like the look of crunchy fall leaves on the grass and sidewalks.
When we moved to Texas this was the first home whose lawn care fell under our responsibility. I wanted to buy a push lawn mower to reduce carbon emissions and all that jazz. Chase was on board until we both realized that our lawn is HUGE and the grass is the cheap, thick kind (I'm sure it has a name) that not only is hard to cut but the kind of grass you would never want to lounge on for an afternoon nap. Our lawn was neglected for far too long even though the kids enjoyed the ever growing forest enormously.
Because I am half Craig, the thought of polluting the air to mow my lawn just made me angry. Besides I have always encouraged others to buy push lawn mowers. I couldn't be a hypocrite. So instead, I washed my hands of the whole experience. I told Chase because he would be mowing the lawn I would be the ignorant party and let him take the reigns. He bought a used motorized lawn mower for $80 and reassured me that even though we're polluting the air, we saved a TON of money. Such a republican.

Just don't tell my Dad. He's the kind of guy that kept our house at 68 degrees in the winter (no exceptions), 80 in the summer (that was cool for us), and allotted us 5 minute showers. Oh, and when we got toilet papered, a large sack of twigs, leaves and toilet paper made it's way to the kid's bathroom where we had to use every last sheet. This was a secret we kept from EVERYONE until the toilet papering days of high school were over. Kids can be so cruel. We couldn't give them that kind of leverage.

No comments: