The Cannon Family

The Cannon Family

Thursday, September 11, 2008

I hate goodbyes!!!

We've officially moved from San Diego and this time we took our furniture with us. It is so permanent now and that's probably what's making me so sad. Lately I've been a little blue. I don't know how anyone leaves San Diego with out getting a little depressed. I started writing this post a long time ago but couldn't finish it because looking at the pictures of where we started our little family were just too much to bear. I was such a baby the last week of my life in San Diego. I totally avoided phone calls and activities in fear that I would burst in to tears if someone even tried too say goodbye to me. At church I totally lied to everyone and denied that it was my last week in the ward. I am such a coward. I just hate goodbyes and there are so many amazing people in San Diego that I just avoided the whole thing altogether. Packing was a joke. I packed a box and then cried. Then I packed another box, and cried again. It wasn't pretty. I've never really been a fan of change and this just about did me in.

We did all of our favorite things one last time. It's a good thing San Diego is sunny because my sun glasses hid the tears as I said goodbye to Sea World, Shamu, the Gorillas at the San Diego Zoo, Balboa Park, the beach at Coronado, the nature trail behind our house and especially our home for the last two years. I am going to miss walking to the pool or hot tub. I am going to miss riding my scooter to the grocery store with my hair wet from the pool (it feels so good to ride a scooter with wet hair). I'm going to miss our friends. We made so many long lasting friendships during our time in San Diego. I'm going to miss Sadie singing "Shamu Shamu" every morning, afternoon, and night. I'm going to miss throwing rocks during our late evening walks on the trail. I am going to miss the beach!!!! Need I say more.

Sadie asks me EVERYDAY with out fail if we can go see Shamu. I get all misty every time she asks as I tell her Shamu doesn't live by us anymore. She says "I wanna see da shampoo show..can we go to seee wooold". I'm starting too get all choked up again just writing this. We might have to postpone the post until I am a little more stable:-) At the airport I made a complete scene and bawled on Chase's shoulder for a full ten minutes. However, it was kind of like ripping off a band aid. I just cried and cried but once I entered the airport I stopped. There was nothing I could do from that point on. I still get emotional thinking about it but we're excited to venture into a new realm of life in D.C. Wish us luck (and stability:-)











13 comments:

Keeping up with the Joneses said...

I got a little teary just reading that. I wish you were here still too! San Diego won't be the same with out you!

Jill T said...

Abbs, I'm sorry it was so hard. I hope some day you'll make it back so that Sadie can see the "shampoo show" again--she is so cute.

How's DC? There's a pretty good chance that Behrad and I could end up out there and it would be SO fun to hang out together.

Do you have any pics from the swim party at Leslie's? If so, please send.

loved seeing you. How was the triathlon?

love jill

Garrett Family said...

Thanks for the warnings...we might be the next to go and I'm not sure how I feel about leaving this beautiful city and the birthplace of our children.

A Resh Perspective said...

Went to our knew ward today...ugh. How much will we need to come up with to get you guys to return? Lindsey is willing to take on a night job and Owen is learning how to stuff envelopes for extra cash. I will employ chase as my personal tax lawyer and adviser. It's not a bad gig, no billable hours or actual work to do.

jenny said...

I would have a hard time leaving San Diego too. It is beautiful. I hope you like DC. Also, I am updating our pledge class addresses. Do you mind sending me yours. jennyokland(at)cox.net

Lindsey Jefferies said...

Can you tell my poor hubby isn't sleeping well? I promise he knows the difference between "new" and "knew"...it just so happens he was up at 3:00 in the morning kicked to the couch cuz Owen took up his space in bed. Seriously though we miss you guys! I'm sorry leaving was so hard on you! We will come visit soon...

Brandi said...

Oh Abigail...I completely understand how you feel. It's horrible isn't it? I was a complete baby and entirely useless. Maybe we can both go back--even if we have to share a townhouse, live off food storage, and start our own school.....you learn how to grind wheat, and I'll work on recipes with powdered butter.

Scott McMillan said...

Sorry it is so hard. I am sure with time you will grow to find things and people you love about DC and cherish the memories you have in San Diego. Just think, you cried when you found out you were going to Benidorm. By the way, my best friend is marrying Ryan Plewe next week. Small world.

j and k said...

Trashfink,
That must have been so hard! I'm so sorry-it's hard when you get so attached to a place! I hope you're doing better and adjusting alright to D.C. I am thinking of you!

Christine Fotheringham said...

abby, just wanted to make a quick comment about how much I LOVE the black and white picture of your family on the beach. That is a great picture! I love living in good old SLC, but if not here I have to say San Diego and D.C. are not bad picks. Hope you're doing well.
Teeny

Ashley McNair said...

I know what you mean--it is really hard to leave San Diego! We'll just have to make it our number one vacay spot. We're glad you guys are here in DC, though. Call us!

Kim and Corey Nasfell said...

Awww...that totally made me cry!! We miss you!!! We couldn't stop talking about you and Sadie when we went to playgroup this week and were gathering rocks! Poor Sadie missing her Shamu! :( Please come visit!!! We love you!!

Morgan said...

Sorry you miss the CA, but we are glad you are now in DC!