The Cannon Family

The Cannon Family

Friday, July 23, 2010

Our Favorite Spot

I have always been amazed by Virginia's woods. One minute you are on a bustling city street and the next minute, if you know your way around (which I finally do), you can find yourself in a deep forest of green trees, creeks, and ponds. It's probably my favorite asset Virginia has to offer. I love that instead of billboards lining the highways, there are tall trees.

I recently had to run an errand that would take me into the Vienna Woods. I decided to take the scooter and had the best time navigating through the thick oak lined streets. I kind of felt like an ewok from Star Wars riding my motorbike through the forest. It was so cool!! I saw two deer, squirrels, a couple of rabbits. I've even seen a turtle cross the road out here. I've also seen my fair share of road kill, but I won't get into that.

We have this great little trail by our house that is totally shaded and covered with trees. We try to go there as often as possible but with the record breaking heat, we are often cooped up inside. There was a week that was actually pretty cool so we lathered on our Deet and headed down to our little spot almost every day.
Jack learned the art of throwing rocks. He's quite a natural and Sadie learned that when she wears her Keens, she can get in the water. She and Jack always have a great time splashing around in those little creeks.
I know I've said my fair share about how much I detest the weather in Virginia, but when I'm in my little shaded haven in the woods, I don't mind NoVa so much anymore. You would think that with this 105 degree weather it would kill the mosquitoes, but they seem to thrive off of sweat and stinky bodies. Nasty!!

Virginia, you're ok but I still can't figure out how our forefathers set up camp here with out air conditioning. No wonder the life expectancy was so low back then. With corsets, dresses, tights, and wigs they were probably dropping like flies, but not mosquitoes.



No comments: