The Cannon Family

The Cannon Family

Friday, July 23, 2010

Portland Girl's Trip

I can't believe it actually happened. We always said we'd go on a trip together but I never imagined it would come to pass. I got to spend every waking second with my girls for a whole weekend. We had so much fun we've decided it has to happen at least every other year. We'll just go around and visit each girl in their home town. We chose Portland this year because Kim's Grace has chemo treatments and she also has a nursing Ben. It makes sense to go wherever the nursing baby is. Since Sara is preggers we'll have to visit Chicago the next time we get together.
I had such a wonderful time! There was never a silent moment and most of the time we were laughing about something. I love my girls. Kim was a great hostess. It was so fun to see her beautiful home and surroundings. Portland is now one of my favorite cities. I also loved getting to know her adorable, sweet, and polite children. Even their humongous dog Annabelle was polite. I was subconsciously taking notes while watching Kim with her kids because I want mine to be like hers. She must be doing something right because they are the nicest bunch around.
I made a hat for baby Ben on my long flight across the country and found that his head is a lot bigger than I expected. He is the chubbiest little butterball and I couldn't stop squeezing him or his thighs. I made him try on the hat even though we had record breaking heat in Portland. Little Ben didn't seem to mind, but nothing seems to bother this guy.
Kim showed us all of her favorite places including the Oregon Coast (gorgeous!!), down town Portland, Lake Oswego and a lot of delicious restaurants. I'll never forget my risotto cakes with butternut squash and I'm still salivating over my sandwich at Elephants. I could move to Portland just for the food, and Kim of course:-)

My lot in life happens to be that everyone, but me, likes sushi. It's not just my friends. My family is obsessed too. I haven't ever really warmed up to the idea of eating raw fish. I tried and my pallet continues to reject. However, Kim took us to a pretty good Sushi restaurant that might have altered my taste buds a little. I actually liked some of the rolls. Of course I had the pregnant ladies to my advantage so most of the rolls were cooked. Overall, it was pretty good and I'm glad they talked me into it.
Mostly our trip revolved around talking, laughing and food so I probably came home a couple of pounds heavier. We visited the famous doughnut shop Voo Doo Doughnuts for some crazy pastries. Mo got a maple doughnut with bacon, and Kim got the actual Voo Doo itself. They had other doughnuts that I won't mention on our clean family blog, but if you use your imaginations, you'll probably think of other shapes and sizes they bake at Voo Doo. They didn't get famous for their glaze, that's for sure.
This amazing home is the Pittock Mansion. Kim told me to post it on Facebook with the inscription "Kim's lovely home." Located at the top of a lush, green mountain, it's a sight to behold. I loved all the old homes in Portland and the quaint little neighborhoods. I also realized after deep concentration, and kim pointing it out to me, that the cloud hovering far away wasn't a cloud at all, but Mt.Saint Helens. Sadie would have been in heaven....she loves volcanoes.
We had a joyful reunion anytime someone arrived at the airport and an equally tearful farewell when we got back on our planes. My only comfort is knowing that we'll get together again soon and that eventually when we outlive all of our husbands we can reincarnate the Golden Girls. 2060 baby!!!
P.S. Another reason to move to Portland; the mosquitoes ate everyone but me. I like to think my bloods tastes like sushi to them.

2 comments:

Erin said...

Fun!!! Love all the posts! The sneezing picture of Sadie is great. And Jack, ugh, he is getting way too big :( Cute kiddeos!!

Are we going to see you guys in August?

j and k said...

Oh, how I'm missing you gals! It's so unfair! Portland just isn't the same without you, and I just can't convince my children to hang out with me with the same fervor. Don't they know I'm a pretty big deal to some (ok, just to you)? THanks for the cute post, and sweet words. I MISS YOU!!! Who else could I laugh, cry, and reflect with so easily but my gals? Eva keeps asking if you'll come back and dance with her. Love the other posts, too! Jack is WALKING??? ANd, Sadie is your clone! I can't get over her fourth of July pics. She looks just like you. So lucky! I just want to squeeze your little ones!
XOXO