The Cannon Family

The Cannon Family

Saturday, December 4, 2010

Thanksgiving with the Etheringtons

When I told my Mom we might possibly be moving to Austin this last summer, she immediately told me that she couldn't wait to visit! They came for Thanksgiving and it was so much fun. I love my family. Sadie of course leached onto Grandpa and didn't let go until pried off at the airport when they went back to Utah. It was 6 degrees in Utah when they left and were welcomed with warm upper 60's weather. While we whipped up all of Mom's delicious Thanksgiving recipes, Sadie and Grandpa climbed the tree in our back yard. Only Grandpa would think to do something that fun. I used to climb trees (back when I was 7) but after Chase encountered a possum while jumping the fence, I've steered clear of their domain. I've become quite the wimp. Sadie got a little closer to heaven that afternoon.
Mimi always brings lots of books when she comes to visit. Sadie's favorite thing to do with her Mimi is snuggle up and read some new stories. "I Know an Old Lady Who Swallowed a Pie" was a big hit. This is my first Thanksgiving cooking with Mom and Jane since I got married. For the past three years we always ate at the Todd's with the Cannon clan (we miss that:-). This year, we had so much fun singing to Ella Fitzgerald and enjoying the breeze from the open windows.

The feast was delicious and the Pumpkin Cheesecake, even better. Once our stomachs had settled, we packed up the car and raced to the movie theatre to see Tangled. Sadie now wants to grow her hair out down to her toes. I loved the movie mainly because it was adorable, but because little Jack sat on my lap practically the whole time! It was my turn to be in heaven. Such a little snuggler. I also had Sadie sitting right behind me which is always fun because I can look back and see the magical delight exuding from her little face. She is now a Rapunzel super fan, like every other little girl in that theatre.

That night the temperature dropped like 20 degrees. The next day, although it was sunny, we bundled up in our scarves and hats to go shopping on South Congress street. What fun little shops! They had a candy shop with chocolate covered bacon. Only in the South! They had a whole store dedicated to cowboy boots. Of course we had to buy some pink ones for Sadie. She'll be so surprised Christmas morning. I don't know if I've mentioned that Sadie is obsessed with ponies and cowgirls. She's going to rock those cowboy boots.

After a delicious meal, we went to the Hey Cupcake trailer to get some more deliciousness. Jack threw rocks, we enjoyed the sunshine, and Sadie licked her frosting. Does anyone have a kid that actually eats the cupcake and not just the frosting? I don't think that kid exists.

We headed over to UT campus and Jane thought it would be fun to seek out the Chi Omega house. Dad, who loves to be a pill sometimes insisted on finding the Beta Theta Pie house as well. They must be having a bad couple of years because not only have they been closed up in Utah, but don't even exist in Austin. Poor Dad. I know he doesn't really even care but it's fun to make fun of him anyway. The Chi O house was way nicer than ours at the U. We peeked in the windows and decided that headquarters must like them more than the Utah sisters. Oh well. I bet they didn't have as much fun as we did living in the "four man" down stairs or playing super mario brothers until 4 a.m. You have to be creative when you live in a dump:-)
After a quick stop to a Book People (independent bookstore..a must for the Etheringtons) and Anthropology, a must for Mom, we headed home, put the kids to sleep and went to Harry Potter. Jane stayed home and watched 5 recorded episodes of Americas Next Top Model. I TIVOed them just for her.

No comments: