The Cannon Family

The Cannon Family

Thursday, March 3, 2011

A family tantrum

Today started off pretty good. Sadie made herself an Eggo waffle so I got to sleep in until about 8 (always a plus). We didn't have to be anywhere until 11 so we lounged around the house until Jack woke up around 9:30. Then Jack decided he wanted to push Sadie's baby stroller. There was screaming and ranting over this worthless piece of plastic on wheels as if it had a hundred dollar price tag. Over and over again Sadie ripped the stroller out of Jack's hands which resulted in screams and wails and a "time out" in the garage for Sadie (only door I can lock from the outside:-)

This set us back a little and we ended up being a little late for story hour at Barnes and Noble with her little friends from the ward. I don't like being late. It frustrates me and puts me in a rather bad mood. After story hour we all hung out for a while and then everyone retreated to Chick Fil A for some lunch. We were on our way but Jack HAD to play with the train table a little longer so Sadie and I read a few books. One being probably the sweetest story I've ever read. We've been reading Mo Williams Knuffle Bunny books for years and there is now the third and final book out called "knuffle Bunny Free." It's about Trixie and her bunny (much like Sadie's Clifford) who ends up leaving her bunny on the plane. After a few weeks of mourning she decides that she is probably too grown up for her bunny anyway and thinks of all the children all over the world that Knuffle Bunny will make happy, since the plane will take him there.

The whole time reading this my heart was crying out "no, Trixie...you aren't too old for your bunny..you still need your bunny. Please don't let the book end like this." Well it didn't end in such a sad fashion, the fate of knuffle bunny is much worse (in my eyes at least). When Trixie gets back on the plane she ends up finding Knuffle Bunny in the seat pocket in front of her. At this point the reunion is too much for me and tears begin swelling up in my eyes...YES!!! Trixie can still have her knuffle bunny. She ISN'T too old. Then the saddest thing in the whole world happens. Trixie turned to the screaming baby behind her on the plane and asks her parents if their baby would like her knuffle bunny. I guess she had abandoned the thought of ever being reunited with him and decided it really was time to move on and give the bunny to someone smaller and, at the time, in much greater need. Her parents were shocked and asked her if she REALLY wanted to give the bunny that had been by her side for the last 7 years to this baby she didn't even know.

Tears were streaming down the cheeks at this point because I kept thinking of my Sadie not wanting her Clifford anymore. Anytime she gets a new toy that seems to take precedence over him at night, I switch them while she sleeps so I can see Clifford nuzzled under her arm. It gives me comfort to see her little arms around him because she still looks little to me with that silly dog at her side. I am not very graceful with this whole "growing up" thing. I guess it never occurred to me that my babies wouldn't be babies anymore and kindergarten is coming up this fall and then she's gone! Everyday, she'll be at school, and leave a void under my protective wing.

The day was pretty much shot at this point. Our friends had since gone and eaten at Chick Fil A. My GPS couldn't find the darn restaurant and the kids were screaming in the back seat while I was trying to get directions from an Chick Fil A employee on the phone. Jack was holding one of Sadie's broken horses that had tape all over it's tail. As he started ripping the tape off the screams escalated into a panicked wail and I ended up hanging up on the nice gentleman and having a tantrum of my own. I threw the horse out the window and told them if they couldn't share their toys they would get thrown away. It was dramatic, sudden and unfair. A battle went through my head. Should I jump out of the car and get the pony or follow through with my threats like my Dad told me to.

Driving away with the horse in my rear view mirror put a little sting in my heart. I thought of the toys on Toy Story and how sad it would have made them if Andy's mom just threw them out the window. The little girl inside me who cried when Nick punched her doll was crying out inside to turn around and get that stupid, taped and broken horse. I didn't turn around and cried the rest of the afternoon with Sadie over our loss. It was a sad and nostalgic day. We should have just gone to Chick Fil A with all the other kids. We'd still have a pony, Mom would be a little less insane, and there wouldn't have been nearly as many tears.

To make a long story even longer, we all went home had lunch and took naps (including Mom). Dad came home and took us to dinner at Chuy's that night and we all felt a little better and Sadie had since forgotten about her horse on the side of the road.

P.S. I've been back twice to find that blasted horse. I guess I'm the one who will never forget him.

7 comments:

j and k said...

I am laughing so hard I am crying right now. First of all HELLO M.I.N.I. C.R.A.I.G! Um, you are your father reincarnate. Second of all, why were you going to eat at Chick Fil-A? That is a thoroughly unAbby place anyway. Third, I can totally picture you chucking that horse out of the window! I love you for being so brutally honest and sharing these darling little insights into a hard day. You are such a sweet and good mom and I love to hear all the ups and downs! They make me giggle. And, perhaps most importantly-how cute are Jack and Sadie? That first picture of Jack in the little tie and vest is killing me! Please overnight him to Portland!

Erin said...

You are hilarious Abby! You should write a column on mothering! You always do such a great job of portraying what we have all felt at times! I love your posts!

I miss you!!!

The Cannons said...

I miss you too Erin. Move to Texas already!!

Gardner's said...

You are too much!! I can't stop feeling sad for the poor broken pony! You are a great mama and I have read the knuffle bunny book too and I will only admit to you that I noticed a little tear as well. Why do they have to grow up? I hate it!! Our sweet little babies are getting too big!!

Jill T said...

Note to self: do not read the book about Trixie! I would be in tears too! I don't like sad books.

Sounds like it was an emotional day. Isn't it amazing how an ordinary day can turn into one with tears shed by every member of the family?

Oh...I would have gone back for the horse too :)

Kim and Corey Nasfell said...

Oh Abby, you and I (and our children) are kindred spirits!! First of all, Azure has the EXACT same dog as Sadie's "clifford" that is her most prized possession (only in our house his name is "brown doggie"). Heaven forbid if I ever put him in the washing machine to make him smell good because for two hours you would have thought someone DIED in our house. Secondly, "Knuffle Bunny" is one of my girls' FAVORITE stories (I had no idea there was more than just the ONE! I'm going to the bookstore TODAY to retrieve at least the second one...I think I agree with you on the ending of the third and would be traumatized myself). Thirdly, we have had the EXACT same experience with having to throw a little, broken toy out the window over a ridiculous tantrum. It make me feel better to know that their our other parents out there that have to result to such drastic measures! Fortunately for Azure, when Corey went back the next day the toy had NOT been smashed to nothing by traffic but had amazingly ended up in the gutter and survives today in our toy bin. Lastly, I feel your pain of having such a drama filled day! I have had many similar days (one including trying to meet my friends at Chick-Fil-A only to have Skyla vomit ALL over herself and my car while in heavy traffic). Anyways, point being, I think you are one amazing Mama!

Romney's said...

I do love your posts. You are fabulous at candid writing and saying it how it is. There are so many mom moments when I have one or more child having a complete meltdown and people looking at me thinking, "What are you doing here in a public place, with THAT going on", and I want to have a meltdown too. You're fabulous. I'm glad you went out to eat at the end of the day. There is something rejuvenating about not having to cook - especially after a day like this.