The Cannon Family

The Cannon Family

Wednesday, March 2, 2011

Don't rock the boat

Ever since we got some new life jackets from Costco, Sadie's been trying hers on and begging to go on a boat ride. We always see people on the lake near the city and decided to join them this beautiful Saturday afternoon. Canoe rides are $10 an hour at Zilker park and $40 for the whole day. Oh, how we would have loved to be on that lake all day but the kids only lasted about an hour.
Sadie was very excited at first but once she stepped into the canoe and felt it rock a little from side to side, she was petrified! No matter how many times we told her the boat wouldn't tip over, how many cute little turtles we saw on the way, or reassured her that she wouldn't fall in, she continued to use caution and stayed near her Dad the entire time. At first she started at his side and ended up on his lap where she obviously felt more secure.
You can clearly see the displeasure written all over her face in this picture. She was especially upset when I wanted to take pictures because she thought I was being distracted from my task of keeping the boat afloat. She about lost it when Chase took a couple pics of Jack and me because while handing him the camera, the boat rocked a little more than she would have liked.

One thing I've always noticed about Sadie is her need to test the waters in any situation (no pun intended). Whether it be with a new friend, Santa Claus (that water was tested for about three years before he was even spoken to), or the monkey bars at the play ground. But once she's comfortable, she loves it. I think the next time we go down to the lake for a canoe ride, she'll be all over that canoe.

Jack was a little champ. He sat in between my knees and ate pirates booty the first 40 minutes and then decided that the water was more fun. It took all my strength just to keep him in the boat. Chase took over the rowing duties while I held onto Jack as he let his fingers slip through the moving water.
After nervous suggestions that we turn around and go back, we at last arrived back on dry land and Sadie was FINALLY safe again. One of these days Chase and I will come down and hang out there all day. It was so beautiful and peaceful (other than the hysterical 4 year old). Instead we strapped the kids in the jogger and walked about 4 miles around the lake's trail and into a festival with Steve Miller's band. You can always count on music playing some where in the city. We ended up hearing some awesome music while watching Sadie rock out with her new moves she learned in dance class. I love that she's afraid of a canoe ride but not scared of a crowd of people watching her dance.

The day ended with Torchie's Tacos at the local trailer park. Chase and I got some fried avocado tacos that were AMAZING. I can't wait to go back for more. Here's to a little exercise, great music and even better food. We really like it here...do I say that too much?

3 comments:

Ie Li said...

That looks so wonderful. Those pictures are beautiful, Abby!

Nesa said...

wow-I totally miss going out on Town Lake. Miss you guys! I am so glad you all are enjoying TEXAS. HUGS!

The Beckstroms said...

That looks like such a relaxing day! And your pics are great. I really need to learn how to use my camera!
Looks like Texas is treating y'all well!