The Cannon Family

The Cannon Family

Tuesday, March 17, 2009

The Big Apples

My mom called me the other day and told me she was going to be in New York over the weekend. She asked me to meet her up there so we could buy Fall 2009 for the Children's Hour at the ENK show. I miss being a buyer so much, but I miss even more the time I get to spend with my mom who is usually very busy. When we would go on buying trips in the past, there were no distractions and it was always so fun to have her all to myself. I decided to make a fun outing out of the trip and visit the Dargers while I was up there. My mom didn't fly in until midnight Saturday so I spent the evening with Julie.

I first stopped by to see their adorable apartment in Park Slope, Brooklyn. I was amazed at how much they could squeeze in there. For a New York apartment, it was actually very roomy. Peterson is growing like a weed and I wasn't at all surprised to see him looking very tall (Ford is a tall man:-). Julie and I headed into the city looking very pregnant together. Her baby is due in about two weeks and mine in about two months, so we were definitely a fun pair to look at. We went to this amazing restaurant where all food and themes point to one item....chocolate. We ate dinner first and then devoured some amazing fondue. We walked out of there swollen from belly to ankle.

Our Taxi to my hotel was hilarious. The guy obviously didn't notice that we were pregnant because he was literally driving 60 mph in the crowded New York streets. I have ridden in many NY taxis but never before have I feared for my life. He was driving like a lunatic!! Once we got out he looked at us and said "you should have told me you were both pregnant...I would have driven slower." I didn't and don't believe a word of it. When we walked into the hotel some guy asked us if we were from Texas (two pregos escaping from the FLDS compound no doubt). We laughed and I called her my sister wife. Julie told me that on her ride back to Brooklyn she talked to her driver all about the LDS church and how we are no way associated with the FLDS church and their practice of polygamy. I am so glad she could at least set one mind straight. I swear because of this new Big Love show, everyone thinks we're polygamist again!!! So frustrating. Good work Jules.

My mom and I had a great time the next day. Although I forgot how exhausting it is to shop all day long. We were buying children's clothes and even though all the vendors were in one convention center, I was completely worn out by 5 p.m. My mom asked if we should go to a show or movie and all I wanted to do was go to bed. I had never been a pregnant buyer before and I'll never do it again. I took a Unisom and slept like a baby (a miracle considering my Mom snores like an old man). We finished up the buying early the next day so we headed to our favorite stores...H&M, Dean and Deluca, and Anthropology. I am so glad I got to hang out with my mom for the weekend. What a treat!!

3 comments:

lbb said...

NYC looks SO fun and exhausting. You look darling prego. I love all the fun things you do with your Sadie. She's lucky to have an energetic momma!

Keeping up with the Joneses said...

No fair I wanna hang out with you guys in NYC! Too fun. Plus I'm drooling over the idea of shopping at H&M, Dean and Deluca and Anthropology. Maybe one day...after law school is long over.

Darger Party of 3 said...

YAY!!! I had so much fun Abby thanks for coming. We actually look really cute (well no surprise for you but I do not look too much like a whale). I had a blast what a treat!! Miss you already. Wish I was in DC to throw you a killa shower. TOTALLY BOY themed it would have been awesome.