The Cannon Family

The Cannon Family

Tuesday, January 26, 2010

Neutral Nemesis

I don't know if they have a name for a person who wears either black, gray, brown or white every day, but for now lets just call it an "Abby." I don't know how it happened but I don't wear anything unless it is one of these colors. Can we even call these "colors." When I buy clothing, I am immediately drawn to the neutral tones. The East Coast has not only turned my skin extremely pasty but has turned my style rather drab as well. I used to wear polka dot shoes for heaven's sake!! Where has Abby gone?

The other day I went to H&M with Nick and Brooke when they were in town for the night. I went in wearing a gray sweatshirt and left the store after buying another gray sweatshirt (it was a zip hoodie unlike the pullover I was wearing), and a bunch of brown elastics. Do you think this reflects the kind of mood I'm in? I have to admit these winter months do make me rather blue (or gray..I should say) but I wouldn't call myself depressed or anything like that. I think the weather has not only made me dress warmer but has toned down all my color. I wish I could get someone from a talk show like Oprah to help me get out of this rut. I need a makeover!! My other issue is that it's hard to find shirts long enough to cover my torso (which has become even harder to cover after two kids:-). So when I shop I am initially looking for anything LONG and for some reason, everything long that I find is a boring color. The gray sweatshirt came in an electric blue as well but I just don't have the guts. What's happened to me!!!

I think most of my colorful energy goes into dressing my kids. The contrast between Sadie's closet and mine is hilarious. How is it so easy for me to shower her in pinks, reds, and yellows when I can't even put a colored elastic in my hair? I have a lot of fun dressing Sadie and I've even find it fun dressing little Jack. I'm taking advantage of these younger years when they wear what I tell them to wear before they turn out like their mother and look like they're mourning every day. In my defense I bought a navy blue trench coat the other day. HELP ME!!

3 comments:

Brooke and Nick said...

I love this post! It is so much more fun dressing Eloise than myself. There are several days that I don't even change out of my scrubs, but Eloise always looks cute.

Erin said...

Well, you always look GREAT! And gray looks so good on you. I will forever think of you when I see polka dots!

Love that you go on mommy/daughter dates. That is a great idea!

Darger Party of 3 said...

I have the same problem. I am drawn to jersey knit too. I am an adult I should buy adult fabrics. I am a frump oh well.