The Cannon Family

The Cannon Family

Wednesday, December 19, 2012

Christmas Chaos

 
Our stake is very musically talented.  In fact, sometimes I feel like I'm sitting in Utah with all the musical numbers and instruments every Sunday.  Something I've been looking forward to this year was hearing the Stake Christmas Fireside again.  It's a little over an hour filled with beautiful voices, choirs and instruments playing all my favorite Christmas songs.  They asked Chase to play the cello again and of course he said yes but he didn't realize it was the same night at the NFP work party.  We decided we could go to both and although some were skeptical, the night was a success.  I got to see my handsome devil of a husband play in the orchestra and then we slipped out a little early and headed downtown to the Omni for the work party. 
One of my best buddies offered to do my hair for the party.  She's been wanting to teach me how to curl my hair "Tiffany Style" for a while but every time we've set up a time I can never go over there.  It also doesn't help that I rarely shower so we have to plan the curling of the hair around this momentous event as well.  Tonight the stars aligned.  I showered AND I needed to look presentable to people other than my children.  So, before I headed to the fireside I went over to Tiffy's house for a mini "makeover."  She curled my hair and did a great job!! I failed to mention that she was throwing a birthday party that night for Paige as well but still did my hair.  I love her!! She asked me what I was going to wear.  I didn't know.  Maybe I'm too mellow, but I just don't think about stuff like that.  If I could, I would have worn my sweats:-) 
Tiff said she wanted to make me the "belle of the ball" but I'm sure she was frustrated when she tried to pawn outfits and jewelry off to me that I just didn't feel like wearing.  Have I ever mentioned that I feel like a gypsy when I wear hoop earrings?  They always look so great on everyone else but when I wear them I feel like I'm trying too hard or like I should steal someone's wallet.  I wasn't planning on getting too dressed up.  I didn't even think about what I was wearing until about 5 minutes before.  It was a crazy night.  I needed to drop Sadie off at Tiffy's house again for a birthday party, then I picked up the babysitter.  I had about 2 minutes to get dressed.  Luckily I bought a dressy blouse from the Children's Hour about 8 years ago and even luckier, the zipper zipped!!  Hooray!! 
 
Chase and I were initially going to stay at the fireside all night but felt we should at least make an appearance.  I'm so glad we did.  We had such a great time.  I'm also glad I didn't wear my sweats!  It was so fun to be dressed up and talk (and dance) with all of Chase's work buddies. I love where Chase works.  Anytime I go in to visit him everyone stops what they're doing and comes in to say hello.  Suzanne lets Jack draw pictures all over her dry erase board, Brent lets him play miniature golf with his clubs, and Stan will give him his iPad so he can play Angry Birds.  He always gives me a big bear hug and asks if he can take Sadie home with him because he never had a daughter.  I love how laid back every one is.  No suit and tie required at work and hugs all around at the party.     

Devon played "Tiffany" tonight as well by getting Jill all glammed up.  Jill went off about how Devon picked out her outfit, purse, did her hair and had Stan buy her new shoes (what a great boss),  and they ended up having a sleepover that night because Devon lives right downtown.  I was a little jealous.  Can't remember my last girl sleepover:-)

I want one of these photo booths at my house.  I could literally go in there and make funny faces all night.  The best part of the party was being with my Chase..of course.  I'm so grateful he loves his job, and loves the people he works with.  Hopefully next year the stars will align again but with a little less chaos please:-)
 

1 comment:

j and k said...

I loved your post about Sandy Hook because it was so heart wrenching. I can't tell you how hard it was to send my kids to school after that. It was horrific. It is devastating and to think what those poor parents are going through. It makes me sick.

On a more optimistic note, I am glad you got some time with Chase. You looked beautiful!!!!!!!!!