The Cannon Family

The Cannon Family

Thursday, May 7, 2009

Is it worth it?

I have a bone to pick with Costco these days. For a while I have been buying their milk in this nifty square container. Occasionally I won't spill when I first open the jug, but almost every other time, milk ends up all over my counter. Whoever engineered this product should be spanked!! The milk is cheap, that's for sure, but I've decided after my last three episodes that it's just not worth it anymore to save a buck or two. First strike: The spout is dysfunctional and cannot pour with out spillage. Second strike: While driving home the other day the jug tipped over and leaked milk all over the upholstery in my car. I saw a little milk by Sadie's car seat so I cleaned it up. Little did I know that nearly a fourth of the gallon had spilled down through the hole by the seat belt and had completely saturated the upholstery below the leather seats. It wasn't until a foul stench and three days later that I discovered the yellow dripping milk all over the inside of my car. It smelled soooooooooo bad. So it spills when it's opened and spills when it "should be" sealed. Strike three: I had myself a bowl of Great Grains the other day thinking to myself it tasted a little weird but after looking at the Sell By date, I was reassured that because I had another week, my pregnancy taste buds must be playing tricks on me. It wasn't until feeling lousy the entire day and midnight that night that the vomiting started. I had been poisoned!!! I threw up seven times that night and didn't get a wink of sleep. You don't give a 9 month pregnant woman a bout of food poisoning and get away with it. I AM FURIOUS!!! Costco will hear about this and hopefully those who read this post will think twice before buying this horrific product.

6 comments:

Keeping up with the Joneses said...

I always buy costco milk and I've never got them in a square container. I've never even seen a square container before. wierd. Sorry for all the yucky milk problems but is that square milk only in DC?? Oh and PS my old roomie is a different Jenna then the one you know but she is really very cool. (we do have a lot of other crazy connections with mutual friends though)Good luck chewing Costco out can't wait to hear how that goes. I would not want to be on the receiving end of the wrath of any 9 month angry pregnant woman.

Jill T said...

Sorry Abbs. Yikes! That's awful! I hope you are feeling better. See you soon.

alexandra said...

you've got a cause of action and a lawyer to handle it!

that really is awful. i hate the containers too

Darger Party of 3 said...

I only buy the organic milk at costco and it lasts forever. I swear by it. Sorry chicka....ugh!! Gross.

April said...

Ack! How awful! Maybe that particular jug had been open for awhile which was why it spilled in your car? That's terrible to think about. Hope you're feeling better!

Eliza said...

Oh no! I'm sorry about the barfing...barfing is The Worst.

Also: Strike four. The Fairfax Costco no longer sells 1%. At least, they didn't the last 2 times I looked. I used to get Costco milk too--and complain about spilling it every time--until they stopped doing 1%. I don't miss it. I think they make them that way so that they can ship more at a time (the boxy jugs fit better in a crate).

Wegmans milk always costs the same as Costco, is in a Normal Person jug, and is just down the street from Costco! Can't lose with that. Except that I hate that Wegmans eggs are always in styrofoam cartons. I guess you can't have everything. Otherwise, I am a relatively recent Wegmans convert (past 6 months or so; I used to shop at Shoppers).

Longest comment ever.