The Cannon Family

The Cannon Family

Monday, May 4, 2009

It's official!!

Sadie is finally potty trained. This might be boring for all of you but I need to record how I (we) accomplished this vexing task. About a year ago Sadie's friend Lizzie was showing signs of wanting to be potty trained. I thought that because these girls were on the same track (developmentally) I would get Sadie started with the training as well. We bought the potty and put it in the bathroom. She had a few exciting moments when she decided to sit down and be a "big girl" but that was about it. She showed very little interest in the whole ordeal other than the Reese's pieces she received whenever she used the potty. Then I got pregnant and had absolutely zero desire to do anything but sleep on the couch while Sadie played with her trains. I feel a little guilty because she was finally showing the signs of wanting to train but I was just too lazy (and nauseated:-)

Entering the second trimester of this pregnancy I got a sudden boost of energy and decided to try again with the training. However, if any of you know Sadie, you also know she has a mind of her own and doesn't like to be forced into doing anything. Now because I wanted her to be trained she totally retaliated and wouldn't even sit on the potty. I finally gave up again knowing that the more I pushed the more she would back away. It wasn't until we had a week off of preschool for Spring Break, that I actually saw a little progress. I found something that Sadie is obsessed with (Disney's Cars Movie) and used the toys as incentives. At this point she was really comfortable going #1 but NEVER wanted to go #2. She would always go off into a secluded place (right after she used the potty) to "take care of business" (sorry I really dislike all the potty vocabulary). So to initially get her to sit on the potty for #2 I got her a MACK semi truck. If she performed, she got the truck but if she messed up her pants, I took the truck away. She LOVES MACK and eventually did everything in her power to keep him.

Now that she was finally comfortable we decided that every time she went #2, she got one of the car characters from the movie. This was a great incentive as she got so excited to use the potty because she anticipated the next car. She only had a #2 accident once because of this plan and when that happened we took all the cars away and she had to earn them back all over again..one by one. I know it sounds regimental, but it worked for Sadie.

Now every time she keeps her pants clean while she's away at nursery or preschool, she gets a lollipop (we ran out of cars). She is always so excited when I pick her up as she says "Mommy I did it, can I have my lollipop now?" She's a great kid. I am so proud of her (and me for enduring to the end). I can honestly say this was one of the hardest things I have ever had to accomplish. Good luck to all you readers with a soon to be trained toddler. It's definitely NOT a walk in the park, well at least it wasn't for us.

Hooray for Sadie...she's finally trained. Now that she's out of diapers, I have to start all over with the next little one. It's a viscous cycle!!

2 comments:

Keeping up with the Joneses said...

This inspires me to "start" the potty process with Ella. Way to go Sadie Lady! You are a big girl now! I'm lovin' all these posts Ab, you guys have been busy. The Tiny tutus is too dang cute. I definitely want to put Ella in something like that. Sorry about your leaky ceiling that bites! Good luck in the next couple weeks! You are one CUTE pregnant girl! You make the rest of us look bad.

Kim and Corey Nasfell said...

Horray for Sadie! Ditto, I HATE potty training!! It's the HARDEST and WORST!! :)