The Cannon Family

The Cannon Family

Saturday, May 16, 2009

Lightning McQueen Birthday Party

Yes, my little girl had a Nemo party last year and a Cars party this year. I've got a serious "tom boy" on my hands. I love how well rounded Sadie is. She will play with just about anything but her Cars characters are her absolute favorites. I tried to throw her an easy "pink princess" party. I thought if we chose a theme like Nemo it would be a lot of work for me in this these last three weeks of pregnancy. Well Sadie wanted a Cars party and I couldn't change her mind so I bent over backwards seeking for as much Car paraphernalia that was available. Chase had finals so I pretty much planned the whole thing myself. I hate this about me but I'm kind of a perfectionist when it comes to parties and events (and a lot of other things I'm afraid).

With Chase gone Saturday morning I rallied and put together a fun little party. He got home from taking his last final around 2:30 so was able to help me for about an hour before the guests started arriving. I was exhausted by the time everything was put together.

We had little stations set up including "Ramone's body art" where we face painted and gave the kids tattoos (which haven't come off by the way...after a week of baths). I'm sure all the Mom's are mad at me for "branding" their kid for what I thought would be temporarily but has become quite permanent.
We set up "Luigi's tire toss" where the kids received a "Piston Cup" trophies if they could throw the ball into the tires. We also set up "Mator's Tow yard" where the kids used a fishing stick to "tow" for a prize. The kids had a blast and it was fun to see how excited they got when they each towed their own little car.

The highlight was watching the kids try to break the Cars piñata. They each gave him a few good whacks with a wooden broom. Sadie's friend Andrew (fully decked out in his knight's armor) opted for his sword instead.
The little men were much more aggressive at getting the candy out. What's a party with out a piñata?

I made a cake from the 365 brand mix and it was delicious. I thought I could do another "Nemo like" cake but in Lightning McQueen style but realized I wouldn't be able to pull it off. So I just made a white cake and put red polka dots all over it. It was the one feminine accent at the party which I was very happy to add. Of course for the finishing touch I placed a huge McQueen car on top. The kids thought it was pretty cool and of course Sadie only ate the frosting.

It was a very fun party and great to have our friends there as well. Of course Sadie put on her princess clothes at the end of the party. Such a funny combination. I hope she appreciates all her fully pregnant Mom(and Dad)did for her. She probably doesn't now but hopefully one day she will.
I'm just glad Chase could haul the chairs back up the stairs and clean up while I put my feet up for a while. It was totally worth it and the funny thing is that after all the stress of planning and the party was over I was a little sad. It's fun having a project (not that I don't already have about a million more) especially when I know it will make my little girl so happy. Happy Birthday Sadie!!

Here are some videos for your enjoyment:



7 comments:

The Beckstroms said...

What cute ideas for the party, and the cake is fabulous! I can't believe you did all being so 'great with child'! AH, you guys are so lucky the schooling is done! Congrats. We are just beginning and boy do I have questions for you, I'll call you soon.

Darger Party of 3 said...

Sooooo cute!! I wish we could have been there.

Keeping up with the Joneses said...

Way to go Abs!! Love all the great car themed games you thought of. You did a great job planning her big 3rd b-day party! I can't belive she is already three! And now she has tonz o' hair. (that gives me hope;) Way to do all this being 8 months preggo. You deserve an award!

j and k said...

SO cute! You are a perfectionist! ANd, you do it ALL so perfectly-so I guess it's working for you. I love that you are so detail oriented. I also love how you eat sugar cookies so daintily-but that's another story. I loved catching up on your old posts. SO cute! Tell Chase congrats. There is not a better feeling than being done with all that nonsense. But, you will look back at how great that time was too. I hope your leaky ceiling worked out! By the way-you are a darling pregnant gal! SO skinny with just a belly bump. SO unfair! I miss you abbs.

Kim and Corey Nasfell said...

HAPPY BIRTHDAY SADIE!! Wow, Abby, I'm totally floored by your party planning abilities...not to mention that you're full term!! Holy cow, I couldn't do that great of a job and I'm NOT pregnant! You're making us "normal" moms look bad! ;)

p.s. I'm LOVING Sadie's piggy tails!!

Jessica said...

Such a fun little party! That cake was awesome even though Matthew pretty much ate all of "our" piece. So much for sharing. We are working on that one!

Scott McMillan said...

What fun!! You did such a great job. Happy Birthday Sadie. Congrats Chase and Happy soon to be birthday baby #2. All our love!