The Cannon Family

The Cannon Family

Sunday, October 10, 2010

The homeless Etheringtons

I received a call from my mom about a week before we flew to Utah that their house flooded. The toilet in the attic burst and practically flooded the entire house. My sister Jane came home early from class (luckily) and was welcomed by a shower in every room!! My mom came home and was able to salvage all the furniture and paintings. Dad was out of town and was very sad to hear about his baby (not Jane). The home was built in 1920 and my Dad's main hobby for the last 30 years was renovating this beautiful home. He loves that house. We all love that house but with it's age come some serious quirks. The water pressure was always a joke in that house. It took almost 20 minutes to fill up the bath tub. We didn't have air conditioning in the front part of the house the first 25 years of my life (lots of heat and mosquitoes in the summer..no fun, but funny memories). When I returned home from Spain, the kitchen was under renovation and we cooked nearly every meal in the microwave. I love that house. When I came into town, my parents were staying at a hotel and Jane was staying with the Daltons. I went over a couple of times to grab a high chair or a stroller and couldn't believe the damage!!
Fortunately they have insurance that will pay for everything but living out of a hotel is never fun. I stayed with the Cannons but hung out with Mom and Dad whenever we found a window. They stayed at a cabin in Millcreek one night so we met them the next day and hung out with everyone in town. I love driving up Millcreek Canyon. It's that drive that convinces me Utah is one of the most beautiful places on earth. I love having the canyons so close to the city.
We all had such a wonderful time hanging out. Sadie was a great little hiker and Jack checked out about half way up the trail. I love my family. I still say living near a brother or sister would make my life complete. One day...one day. I'll just keep telling myself that. I hung out with them as much as I could since I won't be going home for the holidays (remember last year....dreadful!!). One night we watched YouTube videos until midnight laughing our heads off. I also patronized some of my favorite restaurants and ended up at the DoDo three times. I can't get enough of that turkey sub!! Good times.

No comments: