The Cannon Family

The Cannon Family

Sunday, October 17, 2010

Tough Crowd

Chase has two Grandma's that are both
miraculously still alive. I don't have any grandparents left and he still has two 96 year old ladies living in the same assisted living center. It's actually quite convenient to have them in the same spot. Even though they don't remember us stopping by, they're always excited for a visitor to come. I took the kids down with Connie to visit Phyllis on her birthday (not quite sure which one, but who's counting at this point anyway:-), and she was so sweet to us all but I have a feeling she didn't have a clue who any of us were. Sadie was excited to have a piece of cake and play with some of her third cousins.


The next time we returned with Chase and were informed that both grandmas were actually in the lounge enjoying some live music. We were a little bummed we weren't going to have some one-on-one time with them but after I sat and listened to the lounge singer for a while, I was SO glad we came that day. TOTAL ENTERTAINMENT!! I loved watching this lady sing her heart out and contort her face to get the hard notes out in high hopes of a little reaction from the ancient crowd. I tell you what, these are hard folks to please!! Sadie and Jack added to the afternoon amusement by dancing around and flirting (if you re Jack) with anyone that gives you an eye.
Grandma Phillis was on one end of the row and I caught her clapping her hands every once in a while but Grandma Beth was NOT amused!! She had a scowl on her face that looked like she was in severe pain. She continued to complain that this wasn't her type of music while the lady belted out some Elvis Presley.
I was totally entertained and loving every minute of the scene around me. I've decided that I want to be a lounge singer one day. I don't have the best voice but I LOVE to sing. Most of my singing is in my car where only my children (and sometimes Chase) are subjected to my wide range of screeches and pseudo opera. What fun it would be to sing to people that had no choice but to listen to you? They can't get up and walk away (most of them will need assistance in addition to their walkers) and even if they don't clap, you can reassure yourself that they probably can't hear you very well. My mind is made up! When you're old and gray and you see a familiar face singing to you one day, it's probably me getting my big break at your very own Shady Oaks.

5 comments:

Gardner's said...

Even after seeing that once before...I still can't stop laughing at her!! My favorite in that all these old people are staring at her and she is so in to it!! Great post abs!

Jenny said...

That is hilarious! I loved the part in the video where all the old people were just staring at her!

The Beckstroms said...

That is too funny! The residents were not amused by looking at their sullen faces. I got a kick though, thanks for the laughs!!

Katherine said...

oh my gosh. That video is the best I've seen in a long time. No one is amused...except us!!! Let's play again soon!!!

Erin said...

too funny...thanks for the laugh! I am going to have to show John this one!