The Cannon Family

The Cannon Family

Friday, October 29, 2010

Lady Sadie

When Sadie and I have tea parties she becomes the pinky police. Pinkies must be up at all times.

I haven't done a Sadie update for quite some time and since Chase is glued to ESPN, why not write a few things about our little lady.
-She wakes up EARLY (at the crack of dawn) and has since been trained to NOT wake us up before the sun comes up. When Chase gets up to go to work, he always sees a little light down the hall where Sadie is nestled in her playroom.
-Anything in the past (it could be a year ago) is referred to as "yesterday." She'll say "mommy, you remember yesterday in Virginia when we went into those woods and got lost" or "yesterday, in Utah I went to Lizzy's house." She has a very good memory. Yesterday (it actually was yesterday) she told me "remember when I wore this skirt to Riah's house?" How does she remember that? We haven't been to Moriah's house for over a year now!
-She covers her ears whenever she flushes the toilet. I think it scares her because she'd rather leave some seriously nasty surprises for me in the toilet, rather than flush it down. The automatic ones in restaurants put her right over the edge because she never knows when they're going go off. Blenders have the same effect.
-She's four years old and I still can't get her to blow her nose. She sniffs up instead of blowing down. SO FRUSTRATING!! On a good day, she gives me a good effort but rarely is it ever productive enough to try again.
-She LOVES to play My Little Ponies or Polly Pockets with me. I would so much rather play Candy Land or Memory because I don't have to use my unimaginative brain. Our princess polly pocket sessions usually start out with all the girls in their swimsuits swimming in the pool (a soft infant square mirror) where she has attached a race car track for the water slides. Snow White is usually played by me because only I can give her some wicked belly flops and Sadie thinks it's the funniest thing ever (I'm not as amused:-) Then the princesses all go to the store in which they give a penny to buy a dress from the shopkeeper (Belle). They go home and get ready for the ball where Prince Merica (not "America"..she's made that quite clear) will tell Ariel he loves her and wants to marry her. Ariel always asks the prince how his trip was and where he went. Prince Merica is usually in North Dakota and sometime South America. Ariel ALWAYS loses her shoe and then scurries off to hide until Prince Merica finds her after trying the slipper on Aurora, Belle, and Cinderella (boy did she ever get jipped). He finally finds Ariel, but while trying on her slipper, it breaks and Sadie says in her high pitched, yet soft tone..."but I have the other slipper." It's magical and monotonous all at the same time!! Prince Merica goes back to South Dakota and the princesses all take off their dresses to go to sleep. The next morning they ride their ponies. Silly bands come in quite handy these days as we anchor the girls down on their individual Rainbow Dashes, Pinkie Pies, and Cheerilees. Of course their names are different every time ranging from Destiny, Charity, Princess or Butterfly. These ponies fly...of course...but only if Rainbow Dash gives you the power to do so. If you can't fly, you NEVER make it over the massive wall when doing your jumps. This is what we play, it's always the same and she never gets sick of playing over and over again.

-She remains religiously faithful to her her favorite animals and toys. When we went to a restaurant the other day I told her she could only take one toy inside. She's a total pack rat and wouldn't mind trudging along through life with her hands full of my little ponies, Clifford tucked under her arm (leash attached...of course), and her purse full of all sorts of goodies. Sadie does not like to part from her "friends" and announced that ALL her animals were hungry that night and they ALL needed to go inside the restaurant. She won this battle simply with her cuteness and charm and also the fact that she was so empathetic towards her hungry toys.
-We went waterskiing with the Winegars and told her she needed to wear her life jacket the WHOLE time on the boat or the police man will give her a ticket. She is ridiculously afraid of police officers because the last time Mom got a speeding ticket she (mom) cried. That mean man made Mom cry!! They're pretty much ALL on her hit list. Sadie began to worry about Clifford and his lack of a life jacket. The morning before we went to the lake, we had to whip out a 2 minute life jacket out of some left over red fabric. After all this, once we got to the lake she was worried he would fall in and drown so we left him in the car to secure his ultimate safety.

-She's only wants pancakes for breakfast, EVERY MORNING! To make my life a lot easier, I make a big batch at the beginning of the week so I just have to scoop it out and fry it up. I also sneak in some kale and sweet potatoes and she's hasn't noticed yet. She did think it was weird that they were green one day but didn't seem to mind once she tasted the syrup. She LOVES syrup.
-Her new favorite show is Backyardigans and I actually really like it too. Sometimes I find myself shushing her so I can hear what they're saying. Their songs are so catchy and I wish I could dance like that!
-Boys are still the plague of the earth to her. When we were at the park the other day some boys came up, told her their age (4) and asked her how old she was (hoping of course for a little play time). My devious little Sadie told them she was 5 so she wouldn't have to play with them. Clever little thing. It scared me how fast she came up with that one!
-When trying a new food she will always ask "is it spicy? Is it yummy?"
-She can't play in her play room with out music playing in the background. She loves to turn on Christmas music throughout the year and dances all over the house. If we ever turn on some tunes, she runs to her costume chest and whips out her fairy skirt, wings, plastic high heels and wand so she can dance in style.
-She's reading amazingly well these days. She recognizes the words more and more and rarely needs to sound out the individual syllables. She loves to read because every time she finishes a book I tell her she's too smart and then she's attacked with tickles.
-The movers broke her bike she we got her a new one at Costco. She LOVES riding up, down and around our little cul-de-sac.
-I announced to Chase and the Winegars (after a GRRRREAT waterski) that P-I-Z-Z-A sounded like a nice easy dinner. I spelled out the word pizza so the kids wouldn't hear their favorite "p"word and be disappointed if we happened to eat something else. Sadie of course hears everything and said "Pizza! Ya, I want Pizza!!" I can't keep anything from her! I guess spelling out secret words isn't going to work anymore. I spelled out a Christmas present in the car to Chase and I am now wondering if she heard and understood that too. Whoops.
-She told me she wanted to tell me a secret but that I couldn't tell Chase. She leaned over, lifted up my hair and moistened my ear with this cute little delight: "Mommy, I want to be with you for always." Don't worry Sadie, I won't tell Dad....just all my friends on the world wide web.

3 comments:

Erin said...

Abby, you are a great mama! I love that you play the same thing with Sadie daily. She is lucky to have such a wonderful mother and such a dear friend too.

Hope you guys are feeling more and more at home there.

I had to smile when I read about "love bug" and "darlin." I grew up hearing those words and I call Moriah "love bug" all the time! :)

Angelica Hagman said...

Hahaha, that's some awesome stuff about Sadie! Abby, you do such a great job writing about your family (e.g. I love your "top lists"). Very attentive to detail and the funny and quirky things in life!

Brighten said...

We miss you Cannons! So glad to here your getting settled and it's feeling more like home.